Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got experience of tandem feeding?

(7 Posts)
Ilovebeingamummy Sun 21-Sep-08 22:35:21

We are ttc number 3 - am on cd32 now and although test -ve so far am 'feeling' pregnant!!

Anyway am still bfeeding 19mth old ds and he shows no signs of wanting to stop (I am happy to carry on at the moment- he feeds morning and night and occasionally if grumpy or tired during day - but not for very long)

Just wondered of anyone had experience of feeding a newborn/baby and toddler? Or being pregnant and feeding?

feeble Mon 22-Sep-08 12:06:10

I haven't personally but I am a breastfeeding peer supporter for the local hv and midwives and have come accross a few moms who have.

BFmumofone Mon 22-Sep-08 16:14:42

Hello

Try a great book called "Adventures in Tandem Nursing: Breastfeeding During Pregnancy and Beyond" by Hilary Flower

SamJamsmum Mon 22-Sep-08 21:05:13

Yes - that book is great. Very comprehensive.
I bfed a 3 yr old (on 3-4 feeds in 24 hours, mainly overnight) and a newborn. I bfed throughout my pregnancy with no problems or discomfort and found tandem feeding worked for us. He self-weaned when she was 8 months. But he was just that bit older and understood about waiting and baby's needs. I think it's a different experience with a younger nursling.
What are your thoughts/ concerns?
You may want to check out some other boards too like www.mothering.com or the boards at ww.kellymom.com. (that site has a section from the Flower book with lots of info on tandem nursing).

Ilovebeingamummy Tue 23-Sep-08 10:07:47

Thanks all- have found a useful thread and will get the books!! Now I have my bfp

geekgirl Tue 23-Sep-08 10:18:10

I tandem fed dd1 & dd2, there's 19 months between them. Dd2 actually ended up self-weaning before dd1 grin

It was fine, no problems at all, plenty of milk to go around . I found it particularly useful at first as it helped relieve engorgement and also stimulated my milk supply properly (dd2 was born with DS and a heart defect so was very weak and not a good feeder).

I often fed them both at the same time, I am sure that made it all a lot easier for dd1.

SamJamsmum Tue 23-Sep-08 13:03:55

Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now