Talk

Advanced search

Boiled water for breastfed baby?

(11 Posts)
crokky Sun 21-Sep-08 21:00:05

Wondering about tap water - don't know whether to boil it for my baby.

My DD is just 6 months and up til now has been bf.

I am going to start weaning tomorrow and also am going to start giving water with meals (is that what I should do?).

As she has had all her feeds from the breast and never had any kind of bottle/cup/beaker, so nothing has ever been sterlised.

On the one or two occasions that I gave her calpol, I didn't sterilise the teaspoon (just used one of our metal ones from the dishwasher).

So I don't know whether it is necessary to boil the tap water or whether she should just drink it. For my DS, I boiled water til he was 12 months and I am wondering whether this is necessary as I have much less time now!

StealthPolarBear Sun 21-Sep-08 21:01:24

no, not necessary IMO
If you want to though you could boil the kettle in the morning and fill a covered jug

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 21-Sep-08 21:01:49

I boiled water for about a week I think. Watching him maul the dogs and crawl around on the floor before chewing his fingers got me to thinking that boiled water was a waste of time and wattage.

Think "they" say 12 months though.

StealthPolarBear Sun 21-Sep-08 21:03:35

Do they really?
Oops

NoBiggy Sun 21-Sep-08 21:03:42

Always struck me as a bit pointless, if they're going to be chewing discarded shoes at every opportunity. (Why doesn't anyone market a teether that looks like a big manky shoe?)

StealthPolarBear Sun 21-Sep-08 21:04:18

I think I stopped when I caught DS drinking the bathwater for the second time
It was either that or boil and cool gallons of water (and clean him before he went in)

crokky Sun 21-Sep-08 21:30:13

I think I am just going to try a small amount of tap water not boiled. She isn't at the stage where she is crawling and getting dirty, but my 2 yo is "dirty" and gives her toys and touches her hands which she then chews. It's only going to be a bit at this stage as will still bf anyway.

Seona1973 Sun 21-Sep-08 22:31:43

tap water is fine as a drink from 6 months. It would only need to be boiled if you were using it to make up formula. From the food standards agency:

For babies under six months old, take water from the mains tap in the kitchen and boil it.

LilysMum2008 Sun 21-Sep-08 23:30:36

I asked this question of my HV. They confirmed that tap water is fine for over 6 months.

PortAndLemon Sun 21-Sep-08 23:32:54

DD drinks bath water and shares a bath with DS, and much as I would like to sterilise DS I feel he might object...

lisad123 Sun 21-Sep-08 23:33:35

yeah tap water is fine, i did the same. I was going to boil until a lovely MNetter told em not too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now