Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

anyone else not bother giving bottles to breastfed babies?

(57 Posts)
tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 19:58:46

My third is 15 weeks and for the 3rd time I've not bothered expressing or giving formula.

Far too much hassle. The thought of finding and attempting to build my breastpump is too much for me.

I mentioned this to 2 lots of friends on Thursday/Friday and was made to feel odd. Was out on Friday night without dd2 and of course hadn't left dh a bottle. Friends seemed v surprised. I was 5 mins away and not drinking so could nip home if she needed me. She didn't.

Anyone else with me?

justkeepswimming Sun 21-Sep-08 19:59:36

me

nowwearefour Sun 21-Sep-08 20:00:45

i am totally with you on this. and at least two of my friends are too. people cant understnd it. it is just too much extra hassle imv!

Lilyloo Sun 21-Sep-08 20:01:36

me too still have unopened emergency carton of formula in the fridge though dd 8mths !
My few nights out are too precious wink

MissLiss Sun 21-Sep-08 20:01:55

I'm with you. DS2 is 11 months and has never had milk from anywhere else. And it's purely because I was too lazy to express. And sterilise etc etc.

policywonk Sun 21-Sep-08 20:02:50

Yes, me too. (Wouldn't be possible if you had to go back to work though, I guess.)

I tried expressing with DS1, but I was half-hearted about it and never managed more than about an inch. He refused point-blank to take the bottles anyway. Never even attempted it with DS2.

IAteDavinaForDinner Sun 21-Sep-08 20:06:27

Tried and failed with bottles of EBM. Next time around I won't be bothering. He managed fine with a cup when required. Lot of hassle I'm glad I avoided grin

Twiga Sun 21-Sep-08 20:08:01

Hi tassisssss - hope you're all well smile! I expressed a bit for both of mine but mainly coz supply was a bit manic at times, partic with dd could have fed most of Scotland. Have to say dd never fussed by bottle and ds never had one. I'm guessing I may end up expressing again this time, if only to prevent the Dolly Parton effect/ridiculous leaking! Neither of ours had formula either. I'm with you in that I'd rather nip home and feed if not a hassle.

traceybath Sun 21-Sep-08 20:08:17

Me too - DS2 now 9 months and i've never done bottles and don't intend to.

Did express but only because he was in NICU for a week and that was enough to put me off expressing totally.

charchargabor Sun 21-Sep-08 20:09:00

Me too. Luckily I don't have to work so never had the need to. Couldn't express well and DD refused the bottle so didn't see the point in pushing it. Rarely go out and when I do DP can settle her fine. She's 14 months now and takes a cup of water but not really impressed with cow's milk so still just has breastmilk. Have to admit I was really too lazy to try v hard with the expressing! smile

blowsy Sun 21-Sep-08 20:09:18

First time I expressed and froze my milk - it never got used. 2nd tme I just didn't bother, it was easier not to and I was more than happy to exclusively bf.

wessexgirl Sun 21-Sep-08 20:10:00

Yep, did this with both dds for a year. I just HATED expressing, couldn't get the hang of it at all, so I didn't bother.

tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 20:10:33

Hey Twigs, lovely to see you. Your gift for dd is a HUGE hit, thanks. I have huge leakage issues too and wear pads for MONTHS. Doesn't expressing just exaserbate the issue?

PigeonPie Sun 21-Sep-08 20:12:17

Me too! My sister gave me her pump and a couple of bottles when DS1 was on the way but I just couldn't get my head round sterilising so never bothered. Ditched the lot before DS2 was born. Got a microwave steriliser available if anyone wants it!

I'm the only person I know in RL who has exclusively bf - thank goodness for MN or I'd feel very alone!

PigeonPie Sun 21-Sep-08 20:14:51

tassisssss my DS2 is just 8months and I have just ditched the pads!

tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 20:16:38

PP, I'm guarenteed to stop needing the pads the week I see them on special offer and stock up on a few extra boxes!!

PigeonPie Sun 21-Sep-08 20:17:28

I've got about 4 dozen reusable ones if you want!

PeppermintPatty Sun 21-Sep-08 20:21:57

I didn't either.
Well I did - but it didn't work, DD was having none of it so I gave up and just BF.

And yes some people thought I was weird for this.

tassisssss Sun 21-Sep-08 20:24:24

PP, I seem to leak straight through the washable ones...but thanks!

ChirpyGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 20:25:22

I was quite grateful when DD2 refused to take bottles as it freed me from the dreaded pump. I had to pump everyday to leave enough for DD1 so I could leave her for 1 day a monht. DD2 just has water and food, and then feeds for an hour when I get back!

Twiga Sun 21-Sep-08 20:29:12

Tassisssss, don't tend to express for the leaking early on but rather later when supply is changing due to weaning or changing habit, mainly due to being a bit paranoid about mastitus - don't know if you remember but I had a 3 bouts of it in a row with dd and it was rotten. Fortunately avoided completely with ds. Leaking can be the pits, remember rather naively when dd was about 6 weeks old stopping using pads overnight as hadn't seemed to leak for a few - this was fine until I opened the door to the postie the next morning to get a parcel and closed the door to find I was soaking thanks to the cold air effect blush. find things tailed off lot quicker with ds - think he was about 4 months when I ditched the pads. Have you tried the washable ones (once things settle down a bit) I found these saved me a fortune - used disps for the initial fountain type early days.

Twiga Sun 21-Sep-08 20:32:17

oh and meant to say, glad present was a hit - remembered she was a night garden fan and our dd loved puszzles at that stage so was kinda guessing might be a good thing!

beansprout Sun 21-Sep-08 20:42:55

I haven't expressed with ds2 (8mo) but have to as I am supposed to be going to work for a day this week. Tried to get him to take a bottle of EBM today but he refused. oops.

NoBiggy Sun 21-Sep-08 20:47:28

I fully expected to use bottles for DD1 - after all, my mum kept telling me that she'd need to get used to one, even if just for water on a hot day.

The HV came round and said some babies never have a bottle, and I thought that sounded like my sort of idleness! Neither DD1 or DD2 ever had one (unless they swiped someone else's hmm)

My mother is 65.

cupsoftea Sun 21-Sep-08 20:49:32

Why make extra work? - one of the reasons I bf is the convenience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now