Talk

Advanced search

DS not gaining

(10 Posts)
iwantasecondone Sat 20-Sep-08 19:03:18

DS has remained at exactly the same weight for three weeks. I have baby scales at home due to horrid HV so am using same scales every time. He is 25 weeks and having 2 meals a day(kind of) and BF otherwise. Should I start worrying yet? He never stops...am guessing he is burning everything I put into him.

iwantasecondone Sat 20-Sep-08 19:12:55

Have already cut out the third meal and cut way down on solids, but he doesn't appear to take any more milk...

priceyp Sat 20-Sep-08 19:13:23

stop weighing him. You can gauge growth by his clothing, and you'll know if he's getting enough food, by how much he sleeps, poos, winges etc. Don't worry too much about it is my advice smile

fedupandisolated Sat 20-Sep-08 19:19:30

Stop weighing him anymore than once a month. If he never stops then he is using everything you are giving him.
If he needs more then he will ask.

iwantasecondone Sat 20-Sep-08 19:26:59

Thanks for the reassurance, ladies! He isn't sleeping well at all. He is teething though, and I have started just feeding him to sleep every time as he is waking up to 9 times in the night.

MamaChris Sat 20-Sep-08 19:31:54

around this time, my ds who had jumped from 50th centile at birth to 91st and followed that from 8 weeks suddenly slowed down and only gained 100g in a month. two weeks later he'd jumped back towards 91st. I think it was just the introduction of food took him some time to get used to.

if he's healthy and happy (as he sounds) don't worry about his weight

fedupandisolated Sat 20-Sep-08 19:33:32

It sounds as though teething is the problem - especially if he is needing extra comforting at night.

Have you tried Nurofen at all? It's good for teething as it's anti-inflammatory.

iwantasecondone Sat 20-Sep-08 19:44:02

Have given it a few times...worried about his little kidneys though...
Thanks for that. He did exactly the same(50th to 80th) and this is the first time he hasn't followed the line. Just being overly worried about nothing, I'm sure.

fedupandisolated Sat 20-Sep-08 20:39:32

Honestly don't worry about his weight if he is otherwise fine. Teething affects how much they take in as they just don't feel like feeding as much.

Am a HV and I wouldn't be worried about a baby who stayed the same three weeks in a row if he had been otherwise well. It's probably just a blip and if you weigh him in three or four weeks time he'll have adjusted.

Also - if he's active you might find that he's adjusting onto a different centile line. My DS was on 91st at birth and once active dropped to the 50th and never went above it.

iwantasecondone Sat 20-Sep-08 20:42:34

Wish more HVs were like you. Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now