Talk

Advanced search

Questions about ready-made formula cartons

(9 Posts)
CiaraB Sat 20-Sep-08 15:04:50

Sorry if these are silly questions, but I am really struggling to come to terms with bottle-feeding after breast-feeding failure

Is it ok to use the ready-made formula cartons all the time, rather than the powdered milk? I know it would be more expensive, but is that the only reason why it might not be suitable??

Also, when you open the cartons they say they can be stored in the fridge in the carton with the corners turned down for 24 hours. Is it safe to decant into bottles straight away when carton is opened, and stored the bottles in the fridge??

Again, sorry for the stupidity of these questions, but am desperate not to make my baby ill.

Thanks.

poppy34 Sat 20-Sep-08 15:09:20

first of all hugs as you are clearly feeling fed up

it is ok to use them all the time I think but there are obvious cost /environment issues etc. The only thing I'd say practically is that if you travel then it can be more problematic as some airports won't let you take cartons through, have to check airside and they're heavier.

Re the storage thing -the official advice is to use immediately..but what I do make up stuff in advance and store it - I try not to do it for more than 12 hours but 24 hours is my maximum. Given carton milk is equivalent of uht I would imagine you can do the same.

However I'm assuming you are ok with your fridge being cold and are not storing bottles in teh door - mention it as we found out our fridge wasnt workign just as were moving to formula...

poppy34 Sat 20-Sep-08 15:10:28

another thing is that they can get used to teh carton type - we use powder generally and carton when travelling...dd now think its a treat to have the carton stuff (fortunately drinks both) so you may get a child that is a formula snob wink

poppy34 Sat 20-Sep-08 15:11:15

sorry meant to say have to check if sell your tyope airside (ie phone the boots etc ahead) - also formula types vary abroad so if they get keen on just one type it can be tricky

LilysMum2008 Sat 20-Sep-08 16:26:16

I am currently using ready made cartons as my DD would not take a bottle for ages and in trying different bottles and expressed milk and different formula's, I found it easier to try the cartons than the powdered milk. She is now fully on formula and I feel like I should switch to powder due to the cost implications although I haven't actually yet done the cost comparison (hiding head in sand). I will try powder but the guidelines for making it up seem so complicated compared to open carton and pour in bottle!! I always keep in fridge in carton rather than in bottle although I have wondered myself whether it would be ok in the bottle but didn't know the answer. It is kept less than even 12 hours as I use it from one feed to the next. I use larger size carton in house and then take a small carton out if we are going out. Really easy for trips out. Re the airport post above, I have just got back from Mallorca and had the concerns mentioned above. I was winding down breastfeeding so we did have a back up once we had gone through the gate. I had rang ahead, and they said they would not allow the cartons through. I basically put one in each hand baggage and was prepared with my story if they saw them and searched the bags, ie, I thought baby milk was allowed sufficient for the journey and I didn't think I would have to taste cartons as they would then become unsterile and need refrigerating once open. We weren't stopped so no problems. It was a risk but there was no shops which sold it airside. I am worried that she may turn her nose up at powder when I try it but I will just do a mix feed until she goes for powder totally.

pudding25 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:31:53

Sorry to hear you are sad but try not to be. The important thing is that your baby is getting fed and growing.

DD gets 1/2 bottles a day. We started on cartons and used them for quite a few wks as we couldnt be bothered with the faff of formula. However, it is actually quite easy when you get used to it.
It is fine to use cartons all the time but expensive. Not sure about decanting them.

My2 Sat 20-Sep-08 20:40:07

i used cartons all the time with both of mine. well i did start using powder but i think in total i made up 8 bottles and decided it was too much of a faff blush

yes it's more expensive, but it so much more convenient - both mine took at room temperature so night feeds were great - baby wakes, pickup carton that i kept in room, open carton, pour, feed. smile. being out and about it's so much easier as well.

i always stored any unpoured milk in the carton in the fridge and used within 24 hours - though generally always used before this.

Tinkjon Sun 21-Sep-08 22:41:29

Can I ask why you want to decant it and store in bottles in the fridge? You can give them the cartons without heating first if they're at room temperature (I have never heated ready-made formula cartons unless it's been really cold so that room temp was cold). But if you decant into bottles then you have to refrigerate so then you'll have to warm it first. So you're adding an unnecessary step, imo. You can sterilise the bottles and leave them done up tightly for 24 hours and then just open and pour in the carton when needed. I know you'll have to warm the rest of the feed from the carton, if your lo doesn't take it all in one go, but it at least saves you having to warm the first one. And it won't be long before you're using the whole carton in one go anyway

CiaraB Wed 24-Sep-08 16:05:27

Thanks for all your support and advice.

Tinkjon - I was looking at the bigger cartons (500ml and 1 litre) because I thought they might be more economical than the small cartons, and serve the first feed from the carton at room temp, and then refrigerate the rest until the next feed.

In the end I have decided just to stick with the powdered milk - cheaper and not much more effort than the ready-made.

Although my new worry is SMA have changed the formula for SMA Gold and I am concerned about how my DD will react to the new formulation... Bottle-feeding seems so much hassle to me - breast-feeding was much simpler.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now