Talk

Advanced search

So how bad a mother am I to put strawberry crusha in 8mo DD's formula?

(87 Posts)
becklespeckle Sat 20-Sep-08 13:29:20

I really need some advice so please read before you flame me!

DD will not take formula.

I introduced a bottle to her at 6 months and she was happy with it for a few weeks but at 7 months decided she didn't like it anymore. I have tried various cups/beakers/bottles but with no luck.

The main problem for me is that I go back to work on Monday and although I am happy to BF in the daytime I would like her to take milk in the evening for DH while I am at work. I have never been able to express so that is not an option for me. I am also thinking that if she would happily take formula I would stop BFing entirely - TBH on only 2-3 feeds a day my supply is really struggling so not sure it will survive me returning to work anyway.

The other night DH offered her the milk in the same beaker she drinks her water from (tommee tippee tip it up one) and she eagerly reached for it only to push it away when it got within sniffing distance. We have tested this with other cups since putting water in one and milk in the other - she knows the smell of the milk and won't touch it (clever girl!)

So last night, in a fit of desparation, I put a bit of Crusha in and she drank the lot.

Is it feasible to do this and just put a bit less in each time until she has just formula? Or would I be doing untold damage?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

CrushWithEyeliner Sat 20-Sep-08 13:32:08

sorry what on earth is strawberry crusha?

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 13:32:27

I am sure you will get flamed wink

But my friend had a ds like this who hated milk so she used to put chocolate milk powder in his milk and he used to drink it.

You need to be sure the negatives of adding a sugary substance outweighs the negatives of your dd not getting milk iyswim?

Porb got the same amount of sugar as a petite filous yogurt has got in it, and most mums that I know of in RL give their los that.

Imnotok Sat 20-Sep-08 13:33:58

It's your dd ,your business .

WigWamBam Sat 20-Sep-08 13:34:39

Well, it won't do her an awful lot of good, given all the flavourings and suchlike in it - it's never seen a strawberry in it's life, and that flavour has to come from somewhere! And with the best will in the world, the chances are that you won't be able to reduce the amount. Once she's used to the milkshake that's all she'll want.

Can you try a different formula?

SoupDragon Sat 20-Sep-08 13:35:14

Have you tried different formulas?

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 20-Sep-08 13:35:42

i used to put hot chocolate powder in my dd1's bottles because she never took enough milk and was underweight and slow growing. dietician advised me to do anything i could to get milk/food into her.

pagwatch Sat 20-Sep-08 13:35:59

my main concern is that you are encouraging her that she can wait for sweet stuff which will make life worse in the long run because it can quickly become a preference.

Actually I have more concerns than that but determined not to flame smile

becklespeckle Sat 20-Sep-08 13:36:49

Strawberry crusha is a milkshake mix - give it to my much older DSs with milk as a treat crushwitheyeliner

I am sure I will get flamed for this lilymolly but need advice more than I care about being flamed! Was your friend able to gradually cut down the chocolate powder added to the milk? I would not want her on milkshake all the time! Just thought it might get her in the habit!

Saturn74 Sat 20-Sep-08 13:37:44

Does it contain sweeteners?
If so, I wouldn't give it to anyone, let alone a young baby, tbh.

LittleBella Sat 20-Sep-08 13:38:59

Have you asked your HV for advice about this problem?

pagwatch Sat 20-Sep-08 13:39:02

actually just have to add ( whilst still not flaming just adding to info pool)

BBC news had an item on earlier this week about dentistry and featured a child who had had something like 20 fillings or so before five and had had teeth removed for decay. New ones were not coming through.
Mother placed blame firmly on the fact that she gave her DD milk shake in her bottle because that was all she would drink.

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 13:39:50

I cant really remember to be honest becklespeckle I think eventually she did when he went on to cows milk.
What about trying different formula? mixing breastmilk with formula?

becklespeckle Sat 20-Sep-08 13:40:09

I have tried a few different formulas, started on SMA, she tolerated it but it constipated her terribly. Then changed to Aptamil which she seemed to love - then she changed her mind! Have also tried C&G recently. Makes no difference to her whether she has powdered or ready made either - everything is a no go - even when she is starving!

Pagwatch, please tell me your other concerns - need some real advice on this!

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 13:40:56

Yes pagwatch is correct- teeth could be a problem in the long term

Twiga Sat 20-Sep-08 13:41:14

Agree with WWB - I'd be really wary of the sugar/flavour content esp as teeth can be affected even if they're not through yet. If flavouring it is the only thing that works how about pureeing some real fruit through it - bananna or strawberry, I'm sure it would be better for her.

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 13:41:59

Would persevere with formula.
what about you leaving the room and getting someone else to give her the feed?
maybe she is expecting breast milk from you?

SoupDragon Sat 20-Sep-08 13:42:27

It has saccharine, preservative and colour in it as well as added sugar.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sat 20-Sep-08 13:42:47

i was able to gradually cut down the chocolate powder in dd1's milk. she doesnt even like chocolate powder now. she loves that strawberry milk stuff though. the nestle one.

i agree with littlebella speak to your hv. it might be better taking her off her bottles all together and giving her calcium in other ways than to be adding sweet stuff. the problem with my dd1 was that she didnt want to eat either.

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 13:42:51

fruit has lots of natural sugars in it too IIRC

ShinyPinkShoes Sat 20-Sep-08 13:43:51

YUCK

pagwatch Sat 20-Sep-08 13:43:59

beckle
my son has ASD and food issues so my concerns are about children having additives in their food too early and about food habits which always tend to get worse rather than better.
poor diet causes all sorts of other problems ( as I know because of DS2)
when he first got 'picky' i tended to give him what he wanted to just feed him but the result was a totally unbalanced diet.
Kids brains develop so much at this age and additives and sweetners are bad for developing brains.

BUT 0 have to stress there will be parents feeding their kids these items within a normal range of typical food - so I am not saying what you would be doing is so much worse iyswim.
I hope you get some good ideas

Twiga Sat 20-Sep-08 13:46:15

lilymolly - you're right but I wandered if using the real thing would mean a very tiny ammount bit like the whole watering fruit juice down 10 in 100 iykwim and would at least have the added benefits of vits etc.

lilymolly Sat 20-Sep-08 13:48:13

yeah could be better than the crusha smile

becklespeckle Sat 20-Sep-08 13:49:18

Her teeth are my major worry, especially as she already has 8 of them. I have a lot of concerns about this idea but DH is pushing it (think he has had enough of my BFing TBH).

Lilymolly, DH has tried doing it while I put the boys to bed but she just screams herself to sleep on him. He has had enough of trying and thinks we should just cut out the bedtime feed altogether (which still wouldn't solve the daytime problem if my milk dries up completely). I think he wants her on bottles but doesn't want to be the one doing any of the work.

Twiga, I had not thought about purreeing banana and putting it in, would that not leave little lumps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now