Talk

Advanced search

when you express, how much cream do you get and how much skimmed milk?

(14 Posts)
Liz79 Fri 19-Sep-08 21:39:59

Just wondering really as I noticed a fleeting comment on here a while ago that someone got 50:50.

I don't get anywhere near that much creamy hindmilk, maybe 1/2 ounce in a full 5oz bottle.

What proportions of hindmilk:foremilk do people get?

gagarin Fri 19-Sep-08 21:45:59

The difference between the two is a false difference. AFAIK you don't get one and then the other. MIlk is milk.

And mature breast milk looks thin and blue-ish but has everything a baby needs.

And I'm sure if you can produce 5oz you will get a gaggle of folk on here in a minute full of jealousy!

Liz79 Fri 19-Sep-08 21:50:15

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I mean after it has settled, if its been in the fridge a while.

I only get 5oz because DD is 9mo and I express most evenings to fill the freezer for work.

forevared Fri 19-Sep-08 21:51:01

Do you mean once it's separated after standing for a bit?

I always noticed the same proportions as you, about 1/2oz in 4oz

I don't understand gagarin why you say there's no difference in the milk. It's common knowledge that as milk is produced the fats get left behind in the ducts and so take longer to get to baby when sucking starts. Hence thin foremilk and fatty hindmilk.

moondog Fri 19-Sep-08 21:51:06

I was about like that Liz.

gagarin Fri 19-Sep-08 22:04:58

I just thought that nowadays the thinking was that it just all gets mixed up along the milk ducts so all comes out pretty much of a muchness?

forevared Fri 19-Sep-08 22:09:59

Ooh, I'd not heard that.

tiktok Fri 19-Sep-08 23:43:51

There is no 'cut off point' where foremilk 'runs out' and then the breast starts letting-down hindmilk. The fattier stuff may not take long to reach the baby at all - and if the breasts are comparatively empty (because the baby is feeding frequently, with only short gaps), the milk will be fattier and the baby will get relatively high fat milk with the first mouthful. Hindmilk and foremilk are not really very helpful concepts, IMO.

Women's breastmilk samples when they are expressed are bound to differ in the amount of fat they show when they separate - differences between women, differences from day to day, from hour to hour. It doesn't matter. It's all good stuff!

thisisyesterday Fri 19-Sep-08 23:46:18

I used to get a lot more than my friend. we were both expressing and I was donating my milk to her. she said mne was a lot "creamier"

apparently it's to do with the type of fat you eat. which would make sense as I lived on cake.

no idea if it's true or not though lol

moondog Sat 20-Sep-08 13:43:46

How kind of you Yesterday.
Care to share the story? smile

chandellina Sat 20-Sep-08 18:15:50

mine is all skim looking and i'm lucky to get 2 oz.

Liz79 Sun 21-Sep-08 11:17:49

Thanks everyone. DD is a bit slow growing and feeds a lot at night - wondered if my milk was too skimmed, tiktoks post was helpful and I have been thinking this.

Lotster Sun 21-Sep-08 23:12:22

I didn't express much with my first tbh.

After 25 mins of pumping (whilst frantically scrolling through baby photos on my phone to encourage the flow smile) I would get about 2 oz. Pitiful!

I also wondered about the cream/skim thing when I saw the milk seperate after sitting in the fridge but it's just dividing in to curds and whey.

My lovely breastfeeding councellor told me 2 things:
a. your milk is absolutely right for your baby
b. they are lucky to be getting any at all!

smile

tiktok Sun 21-Sep-08 23:23:19

Not curds and whey, lotster....it's the cream separating from the more watery parts of the milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now