Talk

Advanced search

Best breast pump

(21 Posts)
francesrivis Fri 19-Sep-08 13:21:14

It's been asked many times before I suspect, but what do people find to be the best breast pump? I would really like to treat myself (!!) to a new one for new baby - I had a cheap manual one from Boots last time round but never found it very satisfactory.

TIA

wontbepreggersagain Fri 19-Sep-08 13:29:12

treat yourself to a medela swing- i bought an avent isis iq yesterday- but wish i'd bought another medela. isis iq is imo crap- half the milk yeild of the medela- and for me personally the petal massager thingy made it even slower and less productive- BUT some people rave about them, different pumps for different people i think grin

francesrivis Fri 19-Sep-08 13:51:35

Thanks. how much is the medela swing do you know?

wontbepreggersagain Fri 19-Sep-08 13:56:35

about £90 BUT worth every penny- certainly better value than the isis iq uno at £85. envy

<<kicks inferior avent pump on the way past>>

missingwine Fri 19-Sep-08 14:14:42

I bought the Ameda pump and found it very easy to use. I got mine from the NCT website and it was around £85. You can also hire pumps from the NCT if you wanted to try one out.

Bubbaluv Fri 19-Sep-08 14:21:31

I had the Avent Isis IQ and thought it was BRILLIANT. Had to pay attention of I'd overflow the bottle without noticing! Really fast, confortable and easy - was the most relaxing part of my day!

MonkeyMargot Fri 19-Sep-08 14:54:05

My friend has already given me her Avent sterilising kit, so does that mean I am tied to Avent bottles and Breast Pump?

Becky77 Fri 19-Sep-08 18:45:28

Ameda Lactaline... You can get them off ebay for about £50... complete life saver

@ monketmargot - no i sterilise dr browns bottles and Ameda pump in my avent sterilisor

SazzlesA Fri 19-Sep-08 18:51:04

Message withdrawn

tullytwo Fri 19-Sep-08 18:51:47

Medela - mine was only @£40 tho but that was a few years ago - dont think it was a swing one - just their basic.

Wish I had known of it before as I wasted time and cash on others.

TheProvincialLady Fri 19-Sep-08 18:51:51

Yep, Ameda Lactaline. They recommend them at the John Radcliffe BF clinic. I had one for exclusive pumping and it was bloody fantastic. You can do either single or double pumping, it is pretty quiet and very portable. There is not much to sterilise, only the hooters and the collection bottles. They are compatible with loads of different kinds of bottles and containers.

And if you are really treating yourself get an expressing bra toowink <wonders how my idea of a treat has altered so drastically since childbirth>

barey Fri 19-Sep-08 19:06:33

Medela Swing. Worth every penny

Liz79 Fri 19-Sep-08 21:36:52

medela swing £85 from tesco direct. paid with using clubcard vouchers!

chipmonkey Fri 19-Sep-08 22:25:34

Avent Isis IQ Uno or Duo. I have both!grin
I got the Duo for pumping at work and it is fab!
I got the Uno when pg with ds4 as I wanted something I could carry around more easily and to bring on holiday so dh and I could go out. I have been using it since ds4 was born and thought it was great......until I got the Duo back down from the attic! There is no comparison but in fairness, I think the Uno is more than adequate for the odd night out. For expressing at work the Duo is far better.

francesrivis Sat 20-Sep-08 09:10:05

Many thanks - will try e-bay. What on earth is an expressing bra btw??

chipmonkey Sat 20-Sep-08 15:04:18

Expressing bras

babywhiting Sat 20-Sep-08 16:59:12

i had the dr brown's electric one cost me well over £150 with bottles etc but it was a godsend cant rate it enough! oh btw i'm selling it now too!

munchkinmum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:06:02

how much you wanting for it?

TinkerBellesMum Sat 20-Sep-08 20:24:21

The only one I ever rated was the Medela Symphony, but it's hospital grade.

ruty Sat 20-Sep-08 20:33:15

another vote for ameda lactaline

chipmonkey Sat 20-Sep-08 22:26:20

My cousin bought a Symphonyshock when her ds was very little, he is 3 now but poor little man has been in hospital most of his life. When she was done with it she gave it to the hospital which I think was very good of her as she could have got a lot for it, even second-hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now