Talk

Advanced search

expressing milk - question re sterility pls

(9 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 19-Sep-08 10:54:41

So my BM is sterile and can be left out of the fridge for 6 hours. Have small bit of milk in pump and need to give it a rest. Do I need to put the milk in another container and sterilise pump for next time, or can I just stick whole pump in the fridge and top up what I have expressed in 2 hours? If my BM is sterile for 6 hours out of fridge, a couple of hours in the fridge should be ok right? I've been sterilising it between each express and think I might have been creating extra work for myself!

foxytocin Fri 19-Sep-08 11:01:39

BM is not sterile. It contains white blood cells and antibodies which actively kill any nasties which may come into contact with it.

YOu can use your pump and store it in a ziplock bag in the fridge if you are planning to use it the same day.

I only used to wash pump, storage bottles and feeding bottles in hot soapy water, rinse with hot water and leave to air dry.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 19-Sep-08 11:20:10

Ok, milk in fridge and pump to be washed! Thanks. Do you think that leaving it in boiled water after washing is unnecessary then?

foxytocin Fri 19-Sep-08 12:08:50

not necessary. I never sterilised. I just washed in hot soapy water, rinsed, air dried, typically left on the draining board overnight, and assembled the next day as I took it to work in a little bag.

foxytocin Fri 19-Sep-08 12:09:44

I only washed pump once a day but used it 3x a day. Just stored in the fridge at home and in a cool cupboard at work.

whereispingusnose Fri 19-Sep-08 12:46:51

I've been told that anything that comes into contact with milk must be sterilised for babies under 1 year. It's because you get particularly nasty bacteria growing in milk.

Great if you've never had a problem before now, and it's up to you of course, but I wasn't prepared to take the risk. I always sterilised after each use.

foxytocin Fri 19-Sep-08 12:49:21

this thread is enlightening. read the OP first.

chandellina Fri 19-Sep-08 16:44:32

my pump and bottle have been in the fridge for a day and a half and am planning to feed that milk to baby later. problem??

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Fri 19-Sep-08 18:19:53

I'd assume not but I am a bit confused. The MW said BM can stay in the fridge for several days so I guess the pump can't be any less clean than the milk container?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now