Talk

Advanced search

My milk seems to be running out

(6 Posts)
SebbysMum Fri 19-Sep-08 09:41:49

DS was 9 months yesterday. As of a couple of weeks ago we are down to 2 official bf a day, morning and evening. In reality he also often has at least one in the night time.

I get the impression that my milk is running out. I feel increasingly empty and he seems to be spending ages and ages sucking, especially in the night time. I hate this endless sucking because it makes me feel like a dummy rather than milk provider. DH has also noticed apparent emptiness.

I introduced bottle only because DS had lost interest in day time BF. Bottle is going well but I hadn't intended to give up BF this soon.

Now I'm unsure whether to wean or whether to try to force him to BF in daytime to try to kick start milk supply. I must admit I've been enjoying not bf during the day and he'll be starting nursery in 2 months anyway.

If anyone has had a similar experience I'd be grateful to hear what you did. Perhaps weaning is the answer but I can barely imagine life without the helpful comfort of bfing.

MarlaSinger Fri 19-Sep-08 09:46:18

My DS is a bit older but we have reduced daytime feeds as he is in nursery 3 days a week - at first I felt a bit uncomfortable but a month on and I never have that 'full' feeling now - might he be feeding for longer at night to relieve teething pain?

I have to admit I don't like the endless sucking either but I try to tell myself it's a short time really.

I would have thought at his age that your supply would stabilise, not diminish.

If you don't want to wean, then don't you're right it is a great comfort to them and that's what keeps me going when it's tough...

Elasticwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 10:09:27

If you want to increase your milk supply, then dropping the bottles and offering the breast instead will have that effect. You can't force a baby to bf - he will take what he wants, which may be less than you think he needs.

Is he eating much solid food and generally thriving? Does he take water?

I never worried about how much milk mine were getting at that age when they were well established on solids. If they lose interest in daytime bf, so what? They will take what they need if you continue to offer it, but if you offer a bottle as well, your supply decreases and the bottle may well take over.

The marketing success that is formula feeding never ceases to amaze me.

SebbysMum Fri 19-Sep-08 10:28:01

I'm not trying to dodge blame for the shift to bottle feeding but what actually happened is that DS wasn't taking much of my milk in the day and then a few weeks ago we had other babies around and he reached for another baby's bottle (having never used one before) and drank 4 oz straight off. At which I point I thought, 'well if that's how he wants his milk now' and went and bought him a bottle. I see it as just another way to get some calories into my skinny, but otherwise thriving, son.

He has 3 meals a day, and some water with meals.

Elasticwoman Fri 19-Sep-08 10:35:48

Oh, he does seem to have voted with his...mouth! Some children do lose interest in the breast at around this time. With my dd it was 11 months, but she wasn't interested in cow's milk either.

If he likes taking milk from a bottle, could you express? You can hire an electric pump fairly cheaply from Ameda Egnell (google and phone them to find your local agent). You could pump from one breast while he is feeding from the other and this will save time while also increasing your supply.

becklespeckle Fri 19-Sep-08 10:49:59

My DD is 8 months and is now only on 2-3 BFs a day and I also have that empty feeling, there is no fullness to them anymore. I think that is just what happens when you are feeding less. I am always amazed she can get anything out of them TBH but she seems to be getting plenty as I can hear her gulping it down!

Very envy that your DS will take a bottle BTW, we have been trying for weeks with bottles, cups and beakers (with only screaming as a reward) and I'm back to work in a couple of days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now