Talk

Advanced search

Baby Fussing at Breast

(13 Posts)
Clairemac2004 Thu 18-Sep-08 17:32:33

Why is my baby throwing her arms and legs about while feeding, also after feeding for a bit she is still hungry but keeps touching my breast and then pulling away.

Sometimes when she does feed she constantly goes on and off all the time too.

She's been throwing up more these days too.

I burp her whenever she takes a break from feeding so shouldn't be wind.

Also this last week she's having less dirty nappies but seems to have one major dirty nappy a day which is not like her as they have always been regular up until now.

Chequers Thu 18-Sep-08 17:59:21

Not sure but I think people on here have said they do this when going through growth spurts. How old is she?

IHeartIona Thu 18-Sep-08 20:04:16

the one dirty nappy a day is quite common after a few weeks I believe (my dd started to do that at around 8 wks) - how old is your dd?

TettyLouBar Thu 18-Sep-08 20:11:29

Had this happen to me, various reasons suggested to me were:
oral thrush?
growth spurt?
Slow let down/flow?
Too fast let down/flow?
something you have started eating that has tainted the taste?
teething??
positioning?
wind/colic?
wanting to poo?
pain in tummy?

I know this is a long and certainly not exhaustive list, but it made me start to try and rule things out one by one - eventually I found out it was thrush.

Hope you can pinpoint a cause - its worse not knowing at all what it could be.

Sorry this isn't a very helpful post, but I do feel for you. wink

Good Luck

Clairemac2004 Thu 18-Sep-08 20:45:14

She has been diagnosed with thrush but she's had it a while and its never normally bothered her.

She also suffers from wind so it could be her tummy and I also have a fast let down.

Anyone got advice on how to increase my milk in the evening as I can't feed my daughter (17 weeks old, but was 8 weeks early so really 9 weeks old) by breast alone now.

Mel80 Tue 23-Sep-08 01:33:55

Have you checked into reflux? My son was acting the way you describe and once we started treatment for reflux it made a world of difference.

Clairemac2004 Tue 23-Sep-08 15:59:41

What are the symptoms of reflux?

idontbelieveit Tue 23-Sep-08 16:19:00

What do you mean exactly when you say you can't feed her by breast alone, what makes you think you can't produce enough milk? I ask because it's a supply and demand thing so the more you feed her the more you will produce (takes 24-48 hours for her extra feeding to make you make more milk) so if she seems to want to stay on for ages then let her and a few days later your supply will have caught up and she'll be satisfied again.

If you're supplementing with formula there's some really good advice here about gradually replacing formula with breast milk. The rest of this website has loads of evidence based information about breastfeeding.
Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows more about this than me.

Clairemac2004 Thu 25-Sep-08 20:56:51

I don't supplement with formula. I have EBM as I built up a good supply when she was in hospital so when I can't feed her I top her up with this.

I have been sitting for 3/4 every night for almost a fortnight now. Every night I'm trying to not top her up but after the milk starts to run low she gets worked up and starts crying and going on and off the breast all the time so its almost impossible to feed her after that.

If I give her a bottle at this point she's fine.

Clairemac2004 Thu 25-Sep-08 20:56:56

I don't supplement with formula. I have EBM as I built up a good supply when she was in hospital so when I can't feed her I top her up with this.

I have been sitting for 3/4 every night for almost a fortnight now. Every night I'm trying to not top her up but after the milk starts to run low she gets worked up and starts crying and going on and off the breast all the time so its almost impossible to feed her after that.

Clairemac2004 Thu 25-Sep-08 20:56:56

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 25-Sep-08 22:09:24

Message withdrawn

Mel80 Fri 03-Oct-08 20:21:53

Sorry it took so long to answer - Here is a good website about reflux: http://www.infantrefluxdisease.com/

Some of my son's symptoms were the crying/flailing about while he was eating, popping on and off, always seeming like he was hungry and not getting enough to eat (the dr. said the sucking makes it feel better, that's what he wanted and not necessarily more milk), throwing up, not sleeping. If you are still having problems it's worth looking into if only to rule it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now