Talk

Advanced search

Stopped bf yesterday, very painfull breasts - please help...

(16 Posts)
mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:39:59

Stopped bf yesterday as dd is 14months and wakes every 1-2 hours to bf...

So was awake with her alot last night, but when she woke this moring she did not even try to get any milk so I think she realises.

I did try to wean her off slowly but didn't work so had to do it this way.

Any advice on how to dry up milk?

I have got sage tea, any other suggestions?

Also have been told I should wear a really tight fitting bra as this will help but not sure if that will give me matissis or something.

If anyone else has stopped this way with an older baby how many days did it take untill dc forgot about bf? And how old was your dd at the time?

Romy7 Thu 18-Sep-08 12:42:28

stuff cabbage leaves straight from the fridge inside your bra (or rather 'line' your bra rather than stuff lol.)

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 18-Sep-08 12:43:29

Can't you express a bit to take the pressure off?

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:45:39

I thought if I expressed it would make the milk keep coming?

I want to go in the bath too but thought a long hot bath would get rid off too much milk, So thought I should have a shower instead...

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:46:08

is there a certain type of cabbage leaves or ill any do?

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:46:34

its like having two rock solid footballs in your bra

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:47:43

Also if anyone else has done this can you let me know how it affected dc's sleeping afterwards as she was always bf to sleep and think this would improve things...

Kathyis6incheshigh Thu 18-Sep-08 12:47:58

If you just expressed enough for it to stop hurting but not enough to encourage your breasts to make any more, the supply ought to tail off. I don't think breasts are designed for you to stop suddenly!

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 12:53:34

Well I do manage most days ot to feed dd between 8am and 7pm, but she drinks alot at night... And when she is feeling ill or has bad teeth she drinks more in the day...

Romy7 Thu 18-Sep-08 14:07:20

any cabbages. whatever they've got in the shop that's cheap and in quantity! they contain something that helps inhibit milk production... and they feel extremely relieving on rock hard boobs. change for cold leaves as they, er, warm up and go limp... but we warned you might smell a bit soup kitcheny if you're going out in public...
ds1 fed every 2 hours day and night. i stopped dead lol. as soon as he worked out there was no more boob, he gave up waking up... no guarantees of course, but it worked here lol. (and we were both much nicer as a result grin)

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 14:27:51

romy7- how old was ds when you stopped? How long did it take for your milk to dry up and stop being painful?

How long did it take for him to forget about the boob?

likessleep Thu 18-Sep-08 15:40:56

i read mint tea can inhibit milk production, but not sure if true or not ...
good luck

Romy7 Thu 18-Sep-08 16:18:58

11 months - i only stopped because we couldn't alter his 2 hourly 'routine' and the night time was a killer - he was a bottle/ beaker refuser due to plastic phobia (he had rsv and needed 5x daily nebuliser at 11 weeks, so he had a few 'issues' lol - he could smell plastic at 100 paces - so only the boob would do - we lived o'seas at the time and it was long hot summer - couldn't get him to drink out of anything except me. as soon as it cooled down in oct we went cold turkey!)
it took about ten days for the rock hard feeling to disappear, and whilst i think i was still producing a little milk after that, it wasn't enough to warrant breast pads/ didn't leak - just it was there if i looked for it lol.
he was very cross for 3 days (and nights) but has slept like a dream ever since.

mamachat Thu 18-Sep-08 19:58:43

oh gosh, don't know if i can handle 10days of rock hard boobs... hope it wont be that long for me...

Romy7 Thu 18-Sep-08 20:45:38

it was only about 4 days of rock solid, with various bits of boob easing after that, but all traces of rock gone by day 10ish... but i did stop dead in the middle of a two hourly feed cycle with a kid with no other liquid intake... a monster child that the paed called fatso, so i think they'd have called me daisy and stuck a bell on if i'd fetched up near a farm... in hindsight it probably wasn't the brightest idea i'd ever had, but i'd still do it again given the same circs... much quicker and less faff, and what's a couple of days discomfort grin with the possibility of sleep at the end of it?!
sending 'easing tension' vibes, and 'sleep little dd' vibes... as long as it's just rock hard and sore, you should be fine, but do watch out for any signs of mastitis... wink
and just think what little baggy sacks of nothing attached to your chest you've got to look forward to... grin (they do fill out again in a year or two...) grin

mamachat Sat 20-Sep-08 15:23:16

They are starting to feel a little better now thank goodness...

Really not looking forward to saggy breasts tho... lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now