Talk

Advanced search

Biting my nipple! Then grinning!

(10 Posts)
missjennipenni Thu 18-Sep-08 10:31:41

How do i stop 5 month old DS from biting my nipple? he doe sit at almost every feed now. Sometimes he look sat me & grins when he does it!

He obvioulsy doesnt understand "no", so what do i do?

cuppachar Thu 18-Sep-08 11:29:04

DD used to do this when her teeth first came through at about 7 months. I solved it by saying "Ouch" really loudly and crossly (quite easy to remember to do that grin), and putting her straight down onto the floor, at which point she usually started crying. I only left her there for a couple of minutes before starting to feed her again, but it worked for me. Maybe your DS is a bit more persistent though....

missjennipenni Thu 18-Sep-08 11:35:36

He is only 5 months, i wasnt sure if he would understand that he was being put down because he bit me? IS he old enough to link the two yet? Ive tried saying Oww loudly (it hurts, os thats not hard!) but thats when he grins at me

cuppachar Thu 18-Sep-08 13:09:04

I definitely think he's old enough to understand the link - after all he's old enough to find biting funny! I just think at the moment it's a game to him (he bites, you say oww and he thinks that's fun). You've got to make sure it's not fun - I did it by saying ow loudly crossly which shocked DD a bit and immediately put her down on the floor, also quite crossly, and kind of told her off. (I don't mean I felt particularly cross, just that I seemed cross as I wanted to shock her a bit so she didn't think biting was fun!)

Gosh, putting it down in writing makes it sound very mean, but I honestly don't think it was, I just needed her to understand it wasn't a nice thing to do. Obviously babies are too young to explain things to, so they need to be shown clearly. She only did it a few times, so she learned really quickly not to bite.

Hope that doesn't sound really mean blush

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 13:13:47

Mine has now stopped biting me (5 1/2 months) by being pushed into my boob every time he did it. Worked very quickly. Unfortunately, he has now started pinching... hmm

feeble Thu 18-Sep-08 13:18:34

If they are biting they arn't feeding (as when feeding their tongue is over their teeth. so you are not being cruel taking them off. It sounds like a game to me. both of mine did this but only when they were teething (they also liked to sink their teeth into anything else that came into contact with their mouths at this point.)
I just said no sternly and put my boob away and had a 3 times and off rule (if they did it 3 times they were not offered it again.
sorry to ramble just hoping to help

missjennipenni Thu 18-Sep-08 15:42:20

I do take him off, but he whinges to get back on again

I do think he could be teething though

LittleMyDancing Thu 18-Sep-08 15:48:39

DS did this too, not for long, thankfully. The yelp the first time I did it seemed to give him a shock! I think if you take them straight off then they get the message pretty quickly.
Good luck!

ZamMummy Wed 24-Sep-08 15:01:06

DS2 (4 1/2 mo) is doing this as well! And he already has 2 teeth to sink into my poor nipple.... Have tried taking him off but, like the OP, that's when he laughs hmm Maybe I need to be a bit more forceful with taking him off? He definitely thinks it's fun - ooowww!
Any more tried and tested tips out there?
(DS1 didn't start teething until 8mo and I had stopped bf a few weeks earlier, so this is all new)

witchandchips Wed 24-Sep-08 15:06:34

my take on this is to do what our ancestors must have done. Yelp with pain and pull the baby away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now