Talk

Advanced search

expressing for my friend's baby- not working- advice please

(18 Posts)
honeyapple Thu 18-Sep-08 10:03:21

Hi-

I have a 10mth old son who I am BF a few times a day- I have just suggested trying to express milk for my friends preemie baby (who is now home and 6wks old) however having real problem getting anything out. I have an electric pump that has been given to me- never expressed before- worried that as not feeding DS2 very much anymore this is why I cant express. My breasts do not get engorged anymore for example- has anyone successfully expressed with an older baby? If I just keep trying will it kick start my milk production. I am quite slim and wondering whether this might effect it?

Any advice most welcome
thanks

Bramshott Thu 18-Sep-08 10:06:53

How kind and thoughtful of you to offer to do that for your friend.

Not much help really - I had no problem expressing in the early days, but tried again when DD2 was much older and got very little. I don't know why this is, and whether if you perserve you could get more out. I doubt it's anything to do with not having enough milk or being slim, probably more that your breastfeeding is well established and working like clockwork.

honeyapple Thu 18-Sep-08 10:09:46

thanks bramshott- do you think it is worth me keeping trying?

Leoloopydoo Thu 18-Sep-08 10:16:25

No advice, what a wonderful idea! maybe snuggling the baby that the milk is for will help?

honeyapple Thu 18-Sep-08 10:18:44

right i am going to get the machine out and have another go.

callmemitey Thu 18-Sep-08 10:19:31

Can you try a hand pump? I used to find a hand pump on one side whilst DD fed from the other was the most effective.

You are doing a very kind thing for your friend smile

fettle Thu 18-Sep-08 12:51:20

Keep at it Honey! Just bumping for you!

I love the snuggling the baby option - did you have lots of cuddles when you saw your friend recently? (with the baby obviously, although your friend probably could have done with some hugs too).

Have you tried looking at baby baby photos of DS2? It is what I used to use with DD when I was away with work when she was 9-10 months old and I wanted to keep my supply up - have to admit that I only got a few ounces out at a time then - but I didn't have much time to devote to it.

xxx
smile

iwantasecondone Thu 18-Sep-08 13:07:04

galactagogues? I went back to BF after going cold turkey for a week and fenugreek really helped kick it back in.

Leoloopydoo Thu 18-Sep-08 13:17:56

or fennel tea.

you could try hand expressing. I think it could take a few days to build up your supply again.

BouncingTurtle Thu 18-Sep-08 14:18:42

Can you express while feeding your ds? Also try expressing immediately after a feed - he will be better at stimulating production than the breast pump.
I think it is a truly selfless and wonderful thing to do, your friend is very lucky to have you!

Janus Thu 18-Sep-08 14:42:45

honey, I recently had to express and found the best way was while dd was feeding off one boob I would wait about a minute or two and then express off that one and switch baby to other boob.
Also, apparently, it's much harder to express in the evening so if you could organise yourself to do it at the first feed of the day then you should have more milk.
As said, you are doing a lovely thing and so hope it works for you.

mumof2222222222222222boys Thu 18-Sep-08 14:50:42

I used to express a bit at 10pm - it took about 20 mins to get 3/4oz. Then once (don't ask) I did it at 4am...I had half a pint in about 5 mins before I'd noticed! Try changing the time is my suggestion!

AbricotsSecs Thu 18-Sep-08 14:56:16

Message withdrawn

wontbepreggersagain Thu 18-Sep-08 14:56:46

i express a lot BUT i am crapola at it- perseverance seems to be the key for me i get about 40mls at a time these days (in my boobs defence they are feeding twins who a boob addicts!), little and often will stimulate supply a bit more- and fenugreek works well for me too!

honeyapple Thu 18-Sep-08 17:43:45

thanks everyone
I think it would be nearly impossible to try and express at the same time as feeding DS2- he is so inquisitive he'd be too interested in fiddling with the pump- will have a go at trying different times- and looking into fenugreek.

hoochiemomma- my friend was diagnosed with breast cancer when PG hence why her baby was premature and also why she cant BF. She is doing amazingly well though- I would really love to help feed her baby cos she is so upset at not being able to feed her herself.

IHeartIona Thu 18-Sep-08 20:06:39

sorry no advice honeyapple but what a lovely thing you are doing with your friend. glad to hear she is well too, she sounds like she has been thru a lot.

IHeartIona Thu 18-Sep-08 20:07:07

I mean "for" your friend...

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 18-Sep-08 20:12:07

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now