Talk

Advanced search

Just returned to work and DC is glued to boob on my days (and nights) off...

(8 Posts)
Greedygirl Thu 18-Sep-08 09:38:05

Please tell me it will settle down! He is nearly 10 months. He did pick up a tummy bug last week as well so probably making up for lost time but I am absolutely knackered. He waking up 3 times a night now when he only used to wake up once shock. Feel like we are going backwards. Not helped by CM saying "well he doesn't seem to miss it when he is here!" It must be a figment of my imagination grin.

tiktok Thu 18-Sep-08 09:43:07

How unhelpful of the childminder....of course your ds at 10 mths will know you are the one who breastfeeds him and his relationship with you and breastfeeding is clear in his mind...mummy = breastfeeding

I think many people would confirm this is normal behaviour and it does tend to settle down. He is coping with a change (and feeling poorly) and he is getting a lot of necessary love and reassurance during this transition stage. In time, it will lessen.

Greedygirl Thu 18-Sep-08 09:46:00

Oh thanks Tiktok, welling up here so I must be tired!! I think CM only means in a clumsy way to reassure me that he is ok when there but as you say, not helpful.

zazen Thu 18-Sep-08 09:48:36

I think it does calm down after a few weeks.

You know, mummy doesn't JUST equal breastfeeding!!

Your LO probably just wants skin to skin contact with you as well, and the safety and security those feelings bring.

Try giving your DS a massage and lots of skin on skin cuddles - have a bath together.

Think of it as a compliment - he feels so safe with you he wants to be 'on' you all the hours he can.
The CM is a big change for him. So he recharges on you as he knows he can depend on you 100% for his needs.

Hang in there, and have fun with the massages etc!

Greedygirl Thu 18-Sep-08 09:55:24

Good ideas Zazen, I hadn't thought of that aspect (duh!), he has been more cuddly but I just put it down to him being poorly.

chipmonkey Thu 18-Sep-08 09:59:51

Perfectly normal! All of mine were a bit like this when I went back to work and they all settled down after a bit.

tiktok Thu 18-Sep-08 10:01:51

I agree that mummy doesn't just equal breastfeeding in that way - it is indeed the physical closeness and contact that he gets along with the milk that's an expression of the love he feels

Greedygirl Thu 18-Sep-08 16:05:00

Cheers everyone, had another day of constant feeding but also think he has some new teeth coming through. Still it is nice to feel wanted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now