Talk

Advanced search

So what happens when they are 1?

(6 Posts)
nobodytoldme Wed 17-Sep-08 22:34:00

I know not all los are the same, but I am clueless about how much milk ds needs when he turns 1 next month.
I am still bf (yay!) 3 times a day but going back to work in a couple of week and want to drop afternoon feed. Do I need to replace this with a formula feed at this stage? Or cow's milk?
He takes a grand total of 50ml from a cup mid morning so obviously doesn't need that feed any more.
There is just such conflicting advice on how much milk for a 1 yo, and no advice that I can find for bf'ers which imo is realistic.
I feel I have given him a great start, but I am ready to cut down on feeds to one at night and then phase that one out.
WHat did you do?

trixymalixy Wed 17-Sep-08 22:39:45

I cut down to one feed in the morning and one before bed when I went back to work when DS was one.

He drank rice milk during the day but had he not been dairy allergic he would have had cow's milk in the afternoon.

nobodytoldme Wed 17-Sep-08 22:43:00

Thank trix, were you ounce counting with rice milk or just let him have what he wanted?

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 17-Sep-08 22:45:19

DS is 14 months and he gets what he wants (although I am away at work 4 days a week when he gets offered cows milk with his meals/snacks).

Bedtime and morning feeds plus lunchtime if he's interested (getting rare now) and nap times if I am home. Oh and all night grin

For us it was a very unstructured thing. The only thing different was that he gets the chance of cows milk these days, which he likes but doesn't drink gallons of.

trixymalixy Wed 17-Sep-08 22:48:18

I just filled up a sippy cup and let him drink what he wanted didn't even consider worrying about how much he was having!

nobodytoldme Wed 17-Sep-08 22:53:52

I think it was on here that I read "never offer, never refuse" which was going to be my philosophy when we are together. He NEVER asks for milk during the day and I use the mid pm feed as a way to wind him down for a nap. Let the child minder figure out a way to get the little monkey to stop climbing on stuff grin
But he 'asks' (read screeches) all flipping night too at the minute

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now