Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding

(7 Posts)
iwantasecondone Wed 17-Sep-08 19:50:32

Have decided to forget giving up BF DS just because I want to start TTC next month. Was just wondering what happens to your milk while you're pregnant? Does new baby get colostrum? Do you need to stop with the first for a bit before the second? Bound to take forever again this time round, but just in case...

freakypenguin Wed 17-Sep-08 19:53:43

yes, the milk adjusts to suit the newborn, so it will revert to colostrum once again. clever, eh?

how much are you BFding your 1st child? presumably AF has returned for you (soz, personal question blush) but if it has and is reasonably regular you might not need to stop BFding totally. it only affects fertility if you're feeding really rather a lot.

sure more knowledgeable people will come along soon.

good luck TTC btw!

wink

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 19:56:07

I bf DS until I was 16 weeks pg, I stopped mainly because I was finding it uncomfortable. He was nearly 2 and not feeding that much anymore anyway.

It is completely poss to feed your first baby all the way through pg, and some women then go on to tandem feed.

AFAIK colostrum gets produced as normal. I'm now 6 months and have just started to leak a bit, so things seem to be gearing up.

iwantasecondone Wed 17-Sep-08 20:05:11

freaky-I am one of the unlucky few who got AF back after 6 weeks despite constant breastfeeding. Came back with a vengeance. Have tested past two months and am ovulating right on time even though DS is completely breastfed. Lucky me, I guess!

Thanks for the replies...I felt a bit silly asking!

iwantasecondone Wed 17-Sep-08 20:06:43

Oh, and DS will be 6 months in 2 weeks' time. So am still BF quite a lot. (spot the co-sleeping tired lady)

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 17-Sep-08 20:07:39

It's not silly to ask - I got various ignorant people telling me that 'you'll have to give that up...' when I got pg and was still feeding DS, because they couldn't believe that my body could sustain bf-ing and growing a new baby.

Good luck with ttc

CantSleepWontSleep Wed 17-Sep-08 20:09:36

There's a whole thread dedicated to those of us who are pregnant and still breastfeeding .

I'm 38 weeks now, and still feeding dd (2.7) at least 3 times a day.

Some women find that their milk dries up a bit/lot, and sometimes this makes the toddler lose interest, but it is perfectly possible to feed right through. I'm sure that dd will love it when my milk comes in properly again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now