Talk

Advanced search

Priceless advice on feeding from Health Visitor...

(15 Posts)
Chequers Wed 17-Sep-08 16:27:20

...it's ok to give formula after 6 weeks because it does no harm after that age apparently.

!!!!

FabioVicePeeperPlopper Wed 17-Sep-08 16:28:09

And how drunk was she?

shock

<<faints>>

ffs....................

cmotdibbler Wed 17-Sep-08 16:28:40

Amazing. Just....amazing <wanders off shaking head sadly>

kentDee Wed 17-Sep-08 16:28:50

what did you say to that advice? !!

StealthPolarBear Wed 17-Sep-08 16:29:48

you need to report her
and this is going to kick off

foxytocin Wed 17-Sep-08 16:29:59

i am imagining moony's post already.

love fabio's

mine: another hv who needs a firing squad.

Chequers Wed 17-Sep-08 16:30:25

Just looked at her goggle eyed and ignored her like I usually do.

Buda Wed 17-Sep-08 16:30:41

Well she is right isn't she? Formula does not do any harm.

Chequers Wed 17-Sep-08 16:31:57

SPB - am seriously considering it. Her previous advice was equally dubious - we had to give formula top-ups (long story, drastic weight loss) and she told me to make sure I replaced a breastfeed with a bottle rather than topping up!!!

tiktok Wed 17-Sep-08 16:32:41

What an odd thing to say....did she mean it had no effect on the baby's health, or no effect on breastfeeding? Or both?

Chequers Wed 17-Sep-08 16:33:39

Poses no risk to the baby after 6 weeks, apparently. Tiktok, it's the same health visitor who gave me dodgy advice about top-ups that I mentioned to you before.

StealthPolarBear Wed 17-Sep-08 16:36:09

I'm guessing if you asked her if breasfeeding is best after 6 weeks weeks she would say "Oh yes, but formula is equally as good"

GillianLovesMarmite Wed 17-Sep-08 16:50:02

I took ds to get weighed last month - he was 7 months (I only get him weighed about every 6-8 weeks as I KNOW what it's going to be like).
Okay.. the conversation started with the ubiquitious 'are you STILL breastfeeding...' to which I replied 'yes, he's only seven months'.
I then said that he does have some food - as we're doing baby led weaning and then listed a lot of fruit/veg etc. Health visitor then said 'is he capable of managing to pick up anything to hold and eat it himself?' To which I replied that everything I had listed was what he 'managed' to feed himself and that the only things we fed him were soup etc that we didn't want running down the walls.
She then asked if we were vegetarian as I hand't mentioned any meat - to which I said he gets a taste of what we have if he wants it (the list hadn't included meat as I thought I was giving an overview, rather than an in depth discussion)
I then pointed out that he was STILL being breastfed grin.
Health visitor then concernedly advised me to ensure that he was getting enought 'high calorie foods' and recommended.... MASHED UP CORNED BEEF.... shock to which I replied by pointing out the high calorific values of breastmilk....
I think that mashed up corned beef was one of the last things I would think of giving a seven month old baby.
Cue me grabbing my things after recording his weight and dashing out to tell dh and laugh in the car... grin

simpson Wed 17-Sep-08 20:54:01

Saw my equally "good" HV last week when I got 7mth DD weighed. She is ff and I told HV I was just going to swap her to a follow-on milk as it was cheaper and you get clubcard points etc even though follow-on milk a con, have to save the pennies etc.

Her reply was "Oh I wouldn't bother just put her onto cow's milk" shock

At 7mths!!! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now