Talk

Advanced search

Can I increase my milk supply?

(4 Posts)
strawberrycornetto Tue 16-Sep-08 13:13:49

DS is fully breastfed and is allergic to cows milk. I go back to work in 2 weeks and will be expressing at work to provide him with milk to take to nursery. Since he can't have cows milk I also need spare milk for breakfast and for cooking.

I am worried I won't be able to express enough to keep up. Is there any way of increasing the milk I get? Realistically, I will only be able to express twice a day at work max. I also don't think I'll have time before work. I currently express in the evening and get about 4oz. He gets 2 as a dreamfeed and 2 for breakfast.

Thanks smile

onepieceoflollipop Tue 16-Sep-08 14:42:41

You will get more "expert" responses than mine I am sure, but afaik the best way to increase your supply is to feed more often and/or express more often. (feeding more often is the most effective I think)

Some people also find the amount you can express varies with the type of pump, so if you have a fairly basic/manual pump you might want to look into hiring an electric one.

Good luck with your return to work.

Nezzi Tue 16-Sep-08 15:17:00

hello strawberry.

I posted a similar question a few days ago. if you look down the page a bit you'll find "how do i increase my milk supply" I got some really helpful responses. I hope you find something useful there too.
Expressing little but often, fenugreek supplements and an electric pump etc etc.

Best of luck & keep up the good work.

strawberrycornetto Tue 16-Sep-08 16:11:16

Thanks and sorry for the duplicated post blush. Have just bought a medela swing and will look into the fenugreek.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now