Talk

Advanced search

reluctance to take the bottle

(7 Posts)
FiFi118 Tue 16-Sep-08 09:50:55

i am breastfeeding my 11 week old and started to try her with bottles of my expressed milk at 4/5 weeks old with no success - i have spent a fortune on different bottles and finally found a possible one - its Nuk. my partner gives her a bottle at nighttime feed but she often needs a top up from me to settle. also she is better with the bottle when sleepy and screams or refuses often. any advice on getting hr used to the bottle

jeanjeannie Tue 16-Sep-08 10:57:41

No advice I'm afraid - I was reading this to see if there was any on offer! My 3.5mth is exclusively BF and has NO clue what to do with a bottle. I've only got Tommee Tippee Back to Nature and she's useless with it and gets very upset. I shall go out and grab a Nuk today and give it a go - thanks smile

I'm assuming it's going to be down to practise makes perfect - or maybe not. I shall watch thread with interest. I've got sooooo much milk in the freezer - and a night out booked for that's been on the calendar for a year!

Well done on getting further than me!

pudding25 Tue 16-Sep-08 11:39:41

I am bf but dd (4mths) has had one bottle of formula since she was about 3 wks (now sometimes has 2). I couldnt express but wanted a break. Anyway, we had to keep perservering (sp?). She is only now really beginning to take a decent amount from a bottle. She uses the tommee Tippee ones.
Just keep at it. I was topping up after the bottle too until recently. If you keep doing it every day, she will get used to it.
My dd used to often refuse or only take a tiny amount. Good luck.

FiFi118 Tue 16-Sep-08 12:29:07

It has definately got easier with time and perserverence but just sometimes it doesn't happen - and i have no idea what i have done differently!! haven't got tot the stage yet when i can give her the bottle - that is a definately no frm her! not sure if it is better to start with the breast and try and top up with the bottle? any advice on this?

RebeccaP Sat 20-Sep-08 22:25:37

I had the same trouble with my DD but had a breakthrough this week when I worked out that she only took the bottle if the temperature of the EBM was really quite warm (almost hot). It always used to be a bit hit and miss in the past as to whether she would take it or not - but now we have worked out that we need to warm the milk a lot - she takes it every time. I never realised a baby would be so fussy about the temperature! Good luck.

MrsTittleMouse Sat 20-Sep-08 22:30:02

DD never did take the bottle from me - she knew that there was something better under my T-shirt! She had a period of being fussy about taking a bottle at all, but soon settled down to take one from DH or one of her GPs. Is there any reason why you are offering her a bottle? The only reason why I cared about the whole bottle issue was so that she could be babysat - in which case I would be out sight - and she seemed to realise that Daddy couldn't breastfeed.

wja Mon 22-Sep-08 20:06:47

I wanted to get my bfed dd onto bottle at 8 mths and tried many different types until a nurse friend recommended a "special needs feeder" used to be called "haberman feeder" by medela. Easy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now