Talk

Advanced search

Nutritional value of breastmilk - I have a question

(4 Posts)
Tryharder Mon 15-Sep-08 22:45:29

If you eat a crap diet, would your breastmilk be nutritionally poorer than someone who ate a more healthy diet? How would your breastmilk be affected -i.e would it contain less calories or fewer vitamins? If someone could draw up the ideal diet for a bf mother, what foods would it contain?

No real reason for asking, just interested. smile

WilfSell Mon 15-Sep-08 22:47:19

Apparently not. To the first question that it. Don't know about vitamins but I believe the fat content and calorie content is not dependent on mothers' diet. Makes sense really, evolutionarily, as women will have needed to feed for aeons in very constrained circs.

beautifuldays Mon 15-Sep-08 22:51:27

afaik diet has not effect on nutritional content of bm. so if your diet is low in iron your body will take iron from your own body to put into the breastmilk, or if your diet is low in calcium your body will remove the calcium from your bones to give it to the baby.

as far as i know, if a breastfeeding mother has a poor diet it is the mother that will suffer, not the baby.

tiktok Mon 15-Sep-08 23:28:45

There's a good deal of evidence - from comparing milk samples from mothers on different sorts of diets inc ones that are poor, and from comparing the growth and health of their babies - that a mother's diet plays virtually no role at all in breastmilk quality.

It makes me cross when mothers are told something different - for instance, if bf is not going well, they are told it is their fault for not eating well or often enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now