Talk

Advanced search

Unprovoked Weaning Advice from a Dentist! Speechless

(13 Posts)
Rebexus Mon 15-Sep-08 20:49:27

I was on holiday the other week and developed toothache and suspected an abscess so (after a LOT of trouble) found a dentist who was willing to see me almost as a favour (so had to be nicey nice to him).

He had a poke around and said yes an abscess and I'd need antibiotics. I asked for ones I could take while breastfeeding - adding that my DD is 13 months old (as this makes a difference - being over 12 months old - for some medicines).
He said "Well it's probably time you weaned her off that. There's no evidence that there is any benefit BF after 6 months".

I said "pardon?" As I thought "I don't believe I heard that."

"It's time to stop the breastfeeding - get her on a bottle then you don't need to worry"

UTTERLY SPEECHLESS!!!!

(Incidently the pharmacist said the antibiotics were fine - a small amount may pass into the milk but it wouldn't be detrimental)

FairLadyRantALot Mon 15-Sep-08 20:52:55

well....what do dentist know about breastfeeding....I mean even most GP's don't know anything...
luckily you were not someone who believed the rubbish....but it is shocking how ignorant people are and how they still feel in the position to advice....

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 15-Sep-08 20:54:17

He should stick to teeth, as he appears to be completely ignorant about infant feeding...

Bumperlicious Mon 15-Sep-08 21:04:06

I think you should find him some links that say otherwise and email them to him grin

moondog Mon 15-Sep-08 23:30:25

Fucking idiot.

charchargabor Mon 15-Sep-08 23:31:43

[rolling eyes emoticon] Idiot. Hope you feel better now.

handlemecarefully Mon 15-Sep-08 23:33:02

Oh lordy, give them a white coat and they are off.

giraffescantdancethetango Mon 15-Sep-08 23:35:07

what an idiot

edam Mon 15-Sep-08 23:55:06

I bet he was one of those twonks arguing that dentists should be able to call themselves 'Dr'. Git.

Tinker Mon 15-Sep-08 23:55:57

lol at hmc grin

Rebexus Wed 17-Sep-08 13:42:05

grin .... I feel better after having ranted to you lot. I WISH ... just WISH I'd had the presence of mind to tell him all the research that I know about breastfeeding and to ask him what his speciallity was. Why do words always fail when you want them?

Liz79 Wed 17-Sep-08 20:28:43

bottles are bad for the teeth and children should use cups after 12m - a dentist should know this!

ComeOVeneer Wed 17-Sep-08 20:31:18

Erm, Edam dentists can call themselves doctor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now