Talk

Advanced search

Ran Out of Milk Again

(10 Posts)
Clairemac2004 Mon 15-Sep-08 20:47:43

Ok, I've been feeding her for 2 hours and I'm definitely out of milk, she's not settling at all, and once the milk got low she started fussing at the breast, coming on and off all the time!!

What do I do?

Trying to express during day but her feeds are so near each other that I find I don't have enough for her next feed when I do.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Sep-08 20:50:54

how old is she? it's normal for babies to be unsettled and to cluster feed in the evenings.

morningpaper Mon 15-Sep-08 20:52:04

is she about six weeks old?

Tangle Mon 15-Sep-08 20:52:25

How old is she? She sounds like she's quite little and maybe having a growth spurt? My DD used to do this from time to time - I tried to put my feet up, go with the flow, let her suckle as much as she wanted (regardless of what I felt she was getting) and convince myself she wouldn't starve in 24 hours.

Suckling more is your baby's way of telling your breasts to make more milk - there's just a bit of a time delay between placing the order and getting filled. As long as she's still OK in other respects (pooing, peeing, being as alert as she normally is) she'll be fine for a day (or a few more) while you're supply builds up to the new requirement - and it will wink.

LIZS Mon 15-Sep-08 20:53:54

How old is your dd ? You don't literally "run out" though, it is made constantly in response to your lo's behaviour. Lots of babies fuss even though they aren't hungry espeically when newborn, in a growth spurt and/or in the evenings. It really isn't necessarily, and most often not at all, a reflection of supply. If you are concerned call a Breastfeeding Counsellor in the morning to advise on attachment, position and possible causes(other than hunger) of such behaviour. Do remember too that expressing is also not direct indication fo your supply.

TheNinkynork Mon 15-Sep-08 20:58:27

I always found this to be the oddest thing to get my head round with BF - the fact that the more they take, the more is available next time. It's a leap of faith. Nothing else in my experience prepared me for it.

If only a bottle of wine or my bank account worked the same way...

You sound as if you're doing a fine job BTW. It's hard work but will get easier smile

Bumperlicious Mon 15-Sep-08 21:01:17

This sounds really silly, but does she actually want to feed? Sometimes they get fussy because they just want to be put down and given some space.

But also when you express you aren't using up all you milk for there not to be any when she comes to feed. That's not how milk supply works, the milk will be there if she wants, though she may have to work a bit harder for it. Don't worry, you are not running out of milk. And cluster feeding in the evenings is common.

Does she usually feed for 2 hours? Are you experiencing any pain? Sometimes Reaaaallly long feeds can be an indicator for poor latch so LO isn't managing to get enough out.

How old is she? If she is younger than 6 weeks, it's very early to be expressing yet. Try not to worry, I'm sure you are doing fine, babies do fuss sometimes, for a variety of reasons, not likely because you have run out of milk . Have a look at Kellymom on fussiness.

charchargabor Mon 15-Sep-08 21:07:26

They do that, honestly, it doesn't mean you have no milk. It may feel like there's none, but I promise you there is. I assume she's young, and this is totally normal for a tiny baby. Just go with it, she'll stop in the end. And remember she may not be doing it for the milk, but more to feel close to you. Fussiness is normal, just go with the flow, although I know it's hard. My DD was exactly like this, and although it felt awful at the time, it did pass. Do contact a bf helpline if you feel you need to. They may be able to check your latch. Good luck!

chandellina Mon 15-Sep-08 21:49:16

i'm having the same problem with my 7-week old. he is feeding for hours and it really seems like there is nothing there. he comes off the breast and instantly wants to go back on, for four or five hour stretches.
i wonder if it has something to do with him being overtired - he at most sleeps for 2 to 3 hours all day, and sometimes not at all for 13 hours!!

moondog Mon 15-Sep-08 23:29:40

'I always found this to be the oddest thing to get my head round with BF - the fact that the more they take, the more is available next time. It's a leap of faith. Nothing else in my experience prepared me for it.

If only a bottle of wine or my bank account worked the same way...'
Nicely put Ninkynork!!

Claire, it's what they do!! Relax and have faith in your body. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now