Talk

Advanced search

Do I still need to wear a nursing bra?

(19 Posts)
crochetdiva Mon 15-Sep-08 19:51:45

DD is now 11 1/2 months old, and I'm still enjoying bf, and have no plans to stop ... however, I'm also back at work full-time, and am expressing at lunch time at the moment, although I intend scaling that down over the next couple of weeks, as dd refuses to drink the milk, and it's all getting wasted.

Anyway, once I've stopped expressing during the day, and am just feeding dd in the morning and at night, do I still need to wear a nursing / soft cup bra ... I'm dying to get back into my underwires!

S1ur Mon 15-Sep-08 19:54:45

I wouldn't bother personally.

I find depending on bra for only a couple of times you can either pull it up and over, or slip it off your shoulders and down. Or whip it off entirely

crochetdiva Mon 15-Sep-08 19:57:18

Marvellous - I shall get myself to Bravissimo this weekend! grin

Rebexus Mon 15-Sep-08 20:32:13

I'd be careful - they advise that don't wear the uderwires (if that's what you mean) as they could cut into your boobs and cause a blocked milk duct.
If you just mean that you don't have to wear a manky flap down thing rather than a lovely new one then go on and get a great one!

crochetdiva Tue 16-Sep-08 18:05:04

hmmm ... I'd wondered about that: I have been prone to getting a block duct in my right boob - don't want to aggravate it.

Mind you, the fact that I'm not feeding during the day, and would change back into the manky drop flap ones when I get home should avoid that problem? [pleading emoticon!]

My boobs are so big, that soft cup bras don't really support me that well (even the armour-plated ones from Bravissimo), and I've been getting horrendous back-ache from the weight of them.

wzmo Tue 16-Sep-08 18:12:25

i started wearing a undrwire a lot sooner and would just pull it up and it was fine! and i was bf all the time still so i would say go for it!!!!

idontbelieveit Tue 16-Sep-08 18:18:57

My boobs are big and I stopped wearing a nursing bra when dd was around 15 months, had no adverse effects but i've never suffered from blocked ducts. Am back in maternity bras now though, they make my boobs look truly awfulsad

LiegeAndLief Tue 16-Sep-08 20:35:15

I moved back into underwired at 12 months, carried on bfing for another year and had no problems. If you do it make sure it's really well fitting and not digging in anywhere. It isn't really recommended but...

Rebexus Wed 17-Sep-08 13:49:29

Oh I might even go out and treat myself now. Had backache myself the other day and wished I had a better bra. The soft cups are so much more comfortable - but i think it's the mottled grey colour that adds to their charm.

Has anyone tried those M&S bras that have a shaped plastic thingie rather than an underwire? They're supposed to be more comfortable (but more ££££).

takingitasitcomes Wed 17-Sep-08 14:04:37

I have always liked pretty underwear, so was really depressed about my maternity bras until I found the Hot Milk range (some available through Blooming Marvellous) which is just wonderful. They are very pretty and I find them comfortably supportive too. They might be a good middle-solution? I too have been warned off underwire because it increases the Mastitis risks.

NeuroMum Wed 17-Sep-08 16:28:00

There was a post on here recently (can't find it though) about a nursing bra which was underwired. Those that had purchased them raved about them!

If you search on figleaves.com for nursing bras I think you'll come across them.

cmotdibbler Wed 17-Sep-08 16:34:16

I went back to normal bras for work at around 12 months. I did get properly fitted, and go and get refitted every few months just to be sure. It felt much better to be properly underpinned. At weekends I wore soft nursing bras

I did whip my bra off as soon as I got home, but thats partly cos thats what DS wanted me to do..

GillianLovesMarmite Wed 17-Sep-08 16:39:36

Try the hotmilk website! Nursing ability and sexiness!

ninja Wed 17-Sep-08 16:42:19

I went back to work at 6 months while still bf and wore a nromal bra no problem.

The underwired nursing one is Anita, but tbh my bravissimo non-underwired one gives me more support strangely..

TinkerBellesMum Wed 17-Sep-08 20:42:35

The underwired ones don't go very high

gybegirl Wed 17-Sep-08 20:54:46

As GLM says go for hot milk! but get one professionally sized - you'll sudddenly have perky boobs and a waist - they are fab!

gybegirl Wed 17-Sep-08 20:55:27

then again you may have those already grin

crochetdiva Thu 18-Sep-08 10:42:01

ooooh, I have a hot milk one already ... perhaps a good reason to get another one!

Shall take myself to bravissimo too on Saturday - very much looking forward to it!

crochetdiva Thu 18-Sep-08 10:42:40

thanks gybegirl ... grin ... you noticed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now