Talk

Advanced search

How do you start bottlefeeding when your baby is addicted to the breast?

(9 Posts)
sleepycat Mon 15-Sep-08 09:27:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paris88 Mon 15-Sep-08 09:52:25

Oh, big hugs for you. Its hard and heartbreaking. I have a similar situation with DS1-6mths wont take a bottle & DS2 3yr has just started school, so Im watching this thread with interest. please, any advice on how to wean breast feds onto bottles

MrsJamin Mon 15-Sep-08 10:12:40

How old is DS2? I presume not very old?

Pannacotta Mon 15-Sep-08 10:21:14

Have you thought about getting a ring sling so can you can just pop him in the sling and feed him while you are on the go?
It would save you having to make time to sit down and feed him (and also save you the time/expense of making up bottles of formula)?

Aslo I find its much easier to breastfeed at night if I co-sleep, not sure if this is something you do or would consider?

artichokes Mon 15-Sep-08 10:28:05

I am afraid it can be really hard. With DD there was no variation of teat/formula etc that could persuade her a bottle was OK, it made no difference who tried to feed her and TBH the only thing that worked was going totally cold turkey on the breast until she was so thristy she gave-up. It was horrible. However she was 13 months so maybe it will be easier with a younger baby.

My one word of warning is make sure this is something you really want to do and not an act of exhaustion you might later regret. Bottle feeding will not necessarily make your baby sleep more, that seems to be somewhat of a myth, infact he may sleep less than he does when he has a cosey breast to snuggle up to. Also once you give up the breast you give up an immediate source of comfort that allows you to keep DS2 quiet while you talk/read/play with the other two.

However, if you know this is the right decision then good luck. The tips I was given (even though they failed) were trying rubber teats (Mam of Nuk) and leaving baby with someone else for the day so they could not smell your milk and no choice but the bottle.

Pannacotta Mon 15-Sep-08 10:43:53

Have to say that leaving a young baby (am assuming the OP's DS2 is a young baby) with someone else for the day with just bottles as a method of weaning off the breast is pretty harsh, would be very traumatic for him as well as the carer.

sleepycat Mon 15-Sep-08 13:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pannacotta Mon 15-Sep-08 14:38:31

Personally I think going cold turkey at this age would be awful.
WHat did you think to the sling idea? If you search the archives you'll find lots of advice on this.
Remember the first 12 weeks or so are usually the hardest and most full on with a small baby, it shoudl settle down a bit soon.

Boyswillbeboys Mon 15-Sep-08 14:46:35

With DS2 I really wanted to express milk so other people could help with the feeding (DS1 was 20 months at the time) but he completely refused all the different bottles and teats known to man. I completely sympathise, and don't have any words of wisdom to offer except to say at least you don't have the added hassle of all that sterilising, making up bottles etc.

Stick with it if you can, it will get better smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now