Talk

Advanced search

Wrong, or unorthodox latch - advice and experience, please!

(9 Posts)
Penthesileia Sun 14-Sep-08 23:18:49

I have a 3 month old dd. She was born at home and put to the breast straightaway. Barring the first couple of days when my nips were a bit sore, everything has gone swimmingly since then. She's growing like a weed (already over 7.5kg) - lots of wet & mustard pooey nappies.

However - regardless of whatever I tried, she would not, just would not, 'open wide' and do that big, full mouth latch that all the books, etc., go on about. She opens her mouth just a little bit and seems to suck up my nipple & areola. I tried everything, but in the end gave up because it wasn't causing me any discomfort and since this was the main reason why most people worry about the latch, I let it go. I did ring my local LLL rep to discuss it (lovely woman) and she said I probably shouldn't worry about it.

I guess what I want to know is, was she right? I'm worried that we'll face problems when she's a bit older, particularly since I want to bf as long as possible.

Does/did anyone else have this 'problem'?

TIA!

mawbroon Sun 14-Sep-08 23:23:41

I had similar with my ds.

His top lip didn't curl out like all the pictures show and in fact, sometimes it looked like his lip was tucked in!

The LLL counsellor saw him and said that given he was gaining plenty weight and that it wasn't uncomfortable for me, then best thing was to leave it alone.

Your dd and my ds obviously haven't read the textbooks! wink

tiktok Sun 14-Sep-08 23:26:43

I have seen lots of happily breastfeeding, healthy babies who do not have a textbook latch.

In my experience, it does not lead to problems later.

If you are not sore, and the baby is thriving, it is not an issue, really

Joolyjoolyjoo Sun 14-Sep-08 23:26:58

I found with both my dds they had such little mouths they couldn't seem to do the "proper" latch and they were fine. As long as they are gaining weight and having wet and pooey nappies and you are comfortable, can't see how it can be wrong.

Penthesileia Sun 14-Sep-08 23:28:04

Hi mawbroon (good name, btw!) - thanks for your reassuring message. Nice to hear about your ds. Yup, I need to keep reminding myself that babies don't read the same books as us...

Penthesileia Sun 14-Sep-08 23:30:41

X-posted with tiktok & Joolyjoolyjoo: thanks both for your messages. So glad to hear it's ok (I was weirdly embarrassed & worried about it!).

LadyG Mon 15-Sep-08 19:03:43

If anything should get easier as her mouth gets bigger. Both of mine nipple feeders-think its because I have large nipples so if I try and shove the whole areola in they gagged and pulled back -well that is what theBF counsellor said anyway. Downside was they seemed to feed very often and/or for a long time til 4 months-DS, DD only 8 weeks and latches on for a good couple of hours quite happily.Still her weight gain is fine so guess I have to just live with it....

Rebexus Mon 15-Sep-08 20:35:33

My DD feeds the same way and is still doing so at 13 months. I did worry for a bit but she was happy and not struggling to feed so I decided - yes - she hadn't read the right booklet but I like a rebel.

Rebexus Mon 15-Sep-08 20:35:36

My DD feeds the same way and is still doing so at 13 months. I did worry for a bit but she was happy and not struggling to feed so I decided - yes - she hadn't read the right booklet but I like a rebel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now