Talk

Advanced search

Formula feeding with bottled water (Cyprus holiday)

(10 Posts)
Amberc Sun 14-Sep-08 14:34:42

Hi All,

Does anyone know whether it's safe to use boiled tap water in Cyprus or if using bottled water, what mineral levels are harmful?

Thanks

foxytocin Sun 14-Sep-08 16:12:52

you can use evian or volvic to make up formula.

lizzytee Sun 14-Sep-08 16:24:58

Amberc, the point of boiling water is to sterilise it so I do not see an issue. Assuming it's a mains supply the water should be good quality and safe to drink.(MIL lives in Paphos)

If you still want to use bottled water Evian or volvic will be available but at a much higher price than local brands. You don't say when you are going but if it's during the next few weeks it will still be pretty hot so be extra careful about making up feeds.

mytetherisending Sun 14-Sep-08 16:44:14

Yes it is completely safe to drink the tap water in Cyprus- I lived there for 2.5yrs smile

tiktok Sun 14-Sep-08 18:26:03

The point of boiling the water is to kill pathogens in the water and in the formula powder. You need to boil the bottled water as well.

McDreamy Sun 14-Sep-08 18:28:27

As long as you use the water out of a tap for drinking iyswim. Most sinks here have a separate drinking water tap. DS was 5 months when we moved here and I used boiled tap water to make his formula once I stopped bf. Most mums here do.Have a lovely holiday. Where are you staying?

McDreamy Sun 14-Sep-08 18:32:36

Also make sure you bring out enough formula powder as it's hard to get hold of many British brands and if you do they are VERY expensive!!!!

priceyp Sun 14-Sep-08 18:36:17

It depends where you are going in Cyprus. We live on a military base and our water is fine to drink, boiled for formula, but it's processed differently than the main part of the island. But in the supermarkets you can buy special water specifically for making formula. Carrefour sell sterilised water by Hipp, but I have seen greek makes too.

It's because sometimes in the republic it can be turned off or might be dodgy. If you are concerned you could buy that instead of volvic or evian.

Amberc Sun 14-Sep-08 19:15:50

Great thanks all. I am going to Paphos to a very family friendly hotel who will have Aptimil ready for me! I know some tap water has a high mineral and sodium level so I need to be carefu. Will use bottled water I think just to be on the safe side.

priceyp Sun 14-Sep-08 19:30:26

There's a huge carrefour in paphos and an Orphanides (supermarkets), you'll be able to stock up on whatever you need there!! That's great they'll have the formula ready. But beware Aptimil comes in 500g tins here not 900g like the UK! HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now