Talk

Advanced search

milk from my left boob is a different colour from the right boob is it normal?

(10 Posts)
lollyheart Sat 13-Sep-08 21:49:09

The milk on my left boob looks more creamy than the milk on my right boob is that normal?

SamJamsmum Sun 14-Sep-08 12:18:24

Daft question but when you found this out had you more recently fed from your left side? i.e did the milk on the left side have a higher fat content and the right side was more foremilky?

lollyheart Sun 14-Sep-08 21:55:03

Im only expressing ds would never latch he had jaundice and was very dehydrated and spent 4 nights in the scbu so i had to give bottle top ups.

When i express i do each boob for 15 mins i get 3oz from each side and the milk from the left looks creamier every time hope that made sence?

tiktok Sun 14-Sep-08 23:09:45

lolly - doesn't matter. Milk is not always the same - its fat levels change, and this is normal. Today it looks creamier from the left, tomorrow it might be the right. No big deal

Hope you will get decent help as soon as possible with getting ds to latch direct - expressing is hard work, is clearly making you feel anxious, too

SamJamsmum Mon 15-Sep-08 10:06:30

I agree it doesn't sound like a problem. Our breasts are not the same - different numbers of ducts and amounts of milk etc.
How old is your baby? Have you had someone trying to help you get him to feed from you directly? Babies can latch on even after a gap of many weeks.

lollyheart Tue 16-Sep-08 15:04:52

He is 12days.

Is it really pos to still try and get him to latch? its been about 3 days that i have not tried to latch him on, would my milk supply meet his needs? If i could pay someone to live with me 24 7 till i am breast feeding i would.

I feel like ive let myself down now after reading some stories on here of people in the same situation as me and sucessfully breastfeeding in the end maybe i should of stuck with it abit longersad

milkmoustache Tue 16-Sep-08 16:07:48

Please don't feel you've let yourself down - having a guilt trip doesn't help anybody, and things are hard enough at the beginning anyway! Milk supply will always match the demands placed on it, it's getting through the painful nipples and learning how to latch on which is the really tricky bit. Have you tried talking to anyone about it - the NCT breastfeeding line were great to me first time round, there is also La Leche league and hopefully you'll have a breastfeeding clinic somewhere near you for some support and advice. Good luck.

SamJamsmum Tue 16-Sep-08 19:21:40

lollyheart - big hug
It can be weeks and a baby can still latch on. I am a bf counsellor and just last week I worked with a mum whose baby had not latched on for 8 days and he latched on in front of me and fed really well.
This really doesn't have to be the end for you. There are ways to get your supply up and ways to help get the baby back on the breast. And there are people out there who will help you all they can.
I would start by ringing the NHS bfing helpline (you'll get through to a bf counsellor from the bf network or the ABM). The number is 0844 20 909 20. If you are in the South East you may even get me!
Or phone the NCT helpline on 0300 33 00 771.
If you don't get an answer hold on a bit as the call may go through to the next counsellor on the system if the first person is out. If still no luck google for the bfn supporterline or La Leche league number. We are lucky there are options in the UK. On the ABM website you can also find groups and drop-ins local to you. www.abm.me.uk
Phone lines can talk to you about ways to boost your supply, ways to get him on and talk to you about latch and positioning.
This IS possible. You just need to find some support.

lollyheart Tue 16-Sep-08 20:10:02

Thanks all for you advice.
samjamsmum i am in basingstoke is that any where near you?

SamJamsmum Tue 16-Sep-08 20:33:39

I wish it was. I'm North London - Highgate. But do call someone. In Basingstoke
there is stuff locally. You could call the number of the postnatal ward support group listed here for a start:
http://www.breastfeeding-southeast.co.uk/NorthMidHampshire.htm

and try this
http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/basingstoke-baptist-church.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now