Talk

Advanced search

Another post of poo paranoia from wasting... Please help!

(12 Posts)
wastingmyeducation Sat 13-Sep-08 17:05:46

So it's three weeks(ish) since DS growth spurt and poo-frequency spurt began. The poos have gotten stringier and stickier as time has passed, but have gotten particularly dodgy the last couple of days.
Last week I ate a lot of yoghurt, but haven't since Wednesday, I started having a couple coffees again on Sunday, we've got a cold and DS is teething so he's had frequent calpol for the last three days.
This last poo was very sticky, with very pale 'curds' in it. The previous couple days has had some paler bits and some very dark stringy bits.
History - slow weight gain til 8 weeks, gave up coffee, ate porridge, babymooned etc, then he started following a growth line, and pooing every couple days.DS now nearly 19 weeks.

So what is going on?!?

xx

wastingmyeducation Sat 13-Sep-08 18:49:57

Bumping!

xx

Tryharder Sat 13-Sep-08 23:01:08

Can't really advice but my DS2 has different poos everytime - sometimes bright yellow and runny, othertimes bright yellow with bits in, other times a bit greener with bits in..... I have never worried about it -presumably it's to do with what I have eaten and I drink quite a lot of tea/coffee and have never avoided dairy or orange juice or anything like that.

wastingmyeducation Sat 13-Sep-08 23:22:14

I probably wouldn't worry if it hadn't been for the trouble we had with his weight, or the terrible sleep we have. I've asked about caffeine before, but didn't get much response - does your LO get irritable with the tea/coffee at all?

xx

Tryharder Sat 13-Sep-08 23:29:32

Wasting, I don't think DS2 suffers with any reaction to anything I eat but tbh, I've never given it too much thought. I noticed the other day that DS2 was coming off the breast while feeding with an expression on his face as if to say "yuk" so presumably I had eaten something he didnt like but couldnt have told you what it was.

I actually dont think i could give up tea and coffee. The thought of getting up in the morning and not being able to have a cup of tea is not good. I occasionally go to a bf group meeting where everyone else drinks herbal stuff except me. I actually bought some fennel tea cos someone told me it was good for bf but it tastes shite. grin

wastingmyeducation Sat 13-Sep-08 23:38:04

I gave up the caffeine for ten weeks, which is the longest time I have ever gone without. In fact I don't think I've ever done more than a day before! Thankfully I quite enjoyed the rooibos and fennel tea, but it ain't coffee!
There's just so many variables that it's very difficult to tell what, if anything, is affecting DS.
The pooing every two days thing was sooo nice while it lasted.

xx

wastingmyeducation Mon 15-Sep-08 20:20:55

Tonight's poo was really pale yellow.

Well, if noone else has anything to suggest I shall have to ask - the HV! shock

xx

wehaveallbeenthere Mon 15-Sep-08 20:32:10

Wastingmyeducation, If I recall correctly, everything you eat (when breastfeeding) is pretty much what your baby is going to get when you breastfeed. The advice I would give is try to eat as healthly as possible.
When I was bfing my third child would always react when I had coleslaw. She still (at age 10) cannot tolerate cabbage in any form.
So my guess (again sorry because I cannot give you a medical opinion) is it is a combination of what you are eating and what your baby is reacting to. This is all new to the baby.
You can do a yahoo inquiry on "what does the color and texture of feces mean?" and get several informative answers. Good luck with it, I hope I've helped even if just a bit.

nigglewiggle Mon 15-Sep-08 20:42:04

MY DD2 is also 19 weeks and her poos vary widely in terms of colour, stickiness and frequency. I can't honestly remember whether DD1 was the same, but I've certainly not worried about it.

If it still concerns you then do ask your HV, but I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

thisisyesterday Mon 15-Sep-08 20:42:13

ahh teething definitely affects poo because they swallow a lot more saliva than usual.

I can now spot/smell? a teething nappy at 10 paces lol.
would bet it's down to that.

but, tbh their poo does change. A lot. most things are absolutely normal, and if he is happy and healtyhy in himself I wouldn't worry

wastingmyeducation Mon 15-Sep-08 21:33:45

I suppose I worry about the stickiness as i heard mucousy nappies described as 'hungry baby' nappies on here before. I did a google and I think I probably don't have anything to worry about. Thank you all!

xx

nigglewiggle Mon 15-Sep-08 21:37:04

My dd who often has sticky nappies is around the 91st centile, so def not a hungry baby!

Glad you've stopped worrying smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now