Talk

Advanced search

can you mix breast and formular in the same bottle??

(7 Posts)
Janus Sat 13-Sep-08 11:50:41

I have to have a minor op on Monday and so have been trying to express enough milk off all week to keep her going whilst I'm in hospital for the day. But, I don't seem to have got much off and am worried now that I may not have enough milk for dp to feed her (especially if op runs late, etc). Therefore, I have bought some formular for emergency use but should I mix a couple of bottles with say, 3oz formular and 3oz breast? Just thought it may be better to keep getting a mix rather than straight formular (for taste and goodness). Any ideas?
Also, can I breastfeed after having a general anaesthetic, nurse didn't know!

bamboostalks Sat 13-Sep-08 11:53:56

You can mix formula with bm, no problem. I bf dd about 5 hours after a ga, again no probs. Could you bring her in with you for the day while you wait?

fishie Sat 13-Sep-08 11:54:56

does she drink formula generally? it would be dreadful if she refused everything. explain to them that you are bf and ask if you can be done first. how old is she? ds had to have a minor op aged 8m so was starved for about 12 hours, it wasn't as bad as i'd feared.

should think you can bf after a ga, it will have worn off enough for you to wake up so will be out of system.

Janus Sat 13-Sep-08 12:24:35

She's only 4 months. No way would they let her be with me, I'm on a gynae ward, in at 7.45am and they hope operation will be done around 9am-10am. Hospital is 45 mins away and there's the school run at 9am that dp has to do so a logistical nightmare! It's a good idea to mention the breastfeeding thing so I can go in first.
She has never had formula but has had a few expressed bottles so just got to hope to god she takes the bottle again as it has been about 6 weeks since tried. And as I haven't managed to get off that much I haven't got any 'spare' to practice with!
Also, my first was emergency c-section under ga and, obviously, I breastfed her as soon as I came round, probably about an hour after ga so I'm assuming I can just give it to her as soon as I get home.
What a pain this all is!

likessleep Sat 13-Sep-08 22:44:17

i'd give as two separate bottles.
just in case she doesn't take the formula. don't want to waste breastmilk!
hope it all goes well for you smile

bamboostalks Sun 14-Sep-08 10:23:01

Do you not have anyone who could sit with dd while the op goes on? That is what I did and it worked out well.

twocutedarlings Sun 14-Sep-08 10:27:27

Have you tried expressing at the same time as feeding DD ?

Hope it all goes well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now