Talk

Advanced search

21mth old not asking for bf anymore - is this self-weaning?

(10 Posts)
toocool Fri 12-Sep-08 15:22:46

In the last 4 days he has only asked for bf once.

I know WHO guidelines say to do it for a minimum of 2 years and I really WANT DS to have all of the great stuff that breastmilk has...at least until he is 2-2.5.

So if he isn't asking for it should I offer and wait to see if he refuses? Or should I just assume he doesn't want it because he isn't asking for it?

toocool Fri 12-Sep-08 15:26:51

Forgot to add, my boobs are feeling very big and sore.

hiccymapops Fri 12-Sep-08 15:27:08

It sounds like he is self-weaning, which is a good thing. My little boy is just over two and has done the same thing, but if i offered, he'd still have a little suckle which i think was more out of habit.

Personally i wouldn't offer anymore (but then my son just started to use mine as a chew toy! So i'm glad he's now off grin)

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 12-Sep-08 15:30:03

If you would like to continue, you could still offer and see what happens (as you can't force a child to BF anyway... no matter what some people may think hmm). But it does sound like he is leading the way for weaning.

terramum Fri 12-Sep-08 16:45:24

"Don't offer, don't refuse" is a form of mother-led weaning so if you want to continue then keep offering. My DS is 4 & still feeds very occasionally, sometimes of his own request, sometimes after I ask if he wants some. It's no different to asking him if he wants a drink/something to eat!

toocool Fri 12-Sep-08 17:42:18

Just offered him bf and happily obliged. His eyes roll into the back of his head when suckling - he loves it!

Popped him on both breasts for some relief. Feel much better now. Thanks girls.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 12-Sep-08 20:15:14

That's lovely toocool, I miss BF DS... but I have the chance to do it all again with DC2 due in December

Weegiemum Fri 12-Sep-08 22:14:42

At 22 months my (precociously speaking never shut up since!) dd2 said "mummum mok awww finish!" and never had it again.

Sounds like your ds is going the same way. I loved it that it was her choice - both the others were interfered with by a subsequent pregnancy - I just lost all my milk at about 10 weeks pg, which really disrtressed ds in particular (he was 16 months) so I was pleased that she got to decide for herself when it was time to stop.

sillybigsausage Fri 12-Sep-08 22:20:06

I felt slightly envy when I read the OP as my 18 month old DS2 feeds all through the night and shows no signs of ever stopping grin

DD self weaned at 18 months after displaying decreasing interest and willingness to feed. It sounds as though your DS may be moving in that direction

Follow his lead - offer and he will let you know if he needs it

BubblingUnder Mon 15-Sep-08 00:38:42

Don't forget Toocool: the WHO guidelines are there to cover the needs of people all over the world including, and in particular, those who have limited access to alternative sources of nutrition and to clean water. -I hope you don't feel bullied by them as 21 months is great going and is surely plenty if you are both ready to end it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now