Talk

Advanced search

My Breastfed DS has doubled his birth weight in six weeks

(13 Posts)
whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:26:50

DS was born at 38 weeks by cs because of PET and was not ready to come out. Jaundiced and scrawny his weight went right down to 7lbs at one week post partum.

Six weeks later, he has more than doubled his birth weight. Despite vomiting up at least one feed a day since birth and me feeding a toddler as well.

So any of you who are worried your breastfed baby won't gain weight, be assured, breastmilk does it's job very well.

Am torn between pride and backache from toting round a child who is half the weight of my 22 month old. shock grin

constancereader Thu 11-Sep-08 22:28:12

grin
Congratulations!

ILikeYourSleeves Thu 11-Sep-08 22:33:57

Well done you! I can also say that BFing can make your baby chub chub chubby, mine doubled his weight at around 2 months old and has now more than quadrupled his birth weight at 10 months! (he was only 5lb 10 BTW in case you think I am carting around a 40 pounder just now LOL)

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:34:16

Thanks - this time last baby (DD) I was pumping like crazy thinking I didn't have enough milk. She also shot up in weight at this age. DS has now gone from the 25th to the 98th percentile. shock

We are now only weighing him at home on the WII balance board for fear the HV will have a tissy about him being a lardylad. grin

Califrau Thu 11-Sep-08 22:35:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tori32 Thu 11-Sep-08 22:36:39

Congratulations!!!grin Glad dd2 didn't double hers though, she was 10lb at birth LOLgrin Now 5mths and just over double BF!

AnyFuleKno Thu 11-Sep-08 22:44:40

wow wow wow!

grin at weighing him on the wii fit!

My DH went on an all milk diet in his twenties in an attempt to lose weight and gained half a stone in two weeks. I always dust that anecdote off when people wondered if milk was 'still enough' for my dd pre-weaning.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:50:26

Anyfulekno - the WII fit is great for weighing babies actually. Much better than schlepping to the surgery with a newborn and a truculent toddler in toe.

I'm assuming your DH was not having breastmilk on his diet? grin

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 11-Sep-08 22:57:37

Message withdrawn

whomovedmychocolate Thu 11-Sep-08 22:59:36

DD ironically has actually lost weight in the last few weeks, despite the fact she's still nursing (but is expanding a lot of calories throwing herself on the floor during tantrums hmm).

I reckon DS has cottoned onto the 'drink lots of milk and sit on arse' method of weight gain. The same thing works for me if I have a chocolate-fest for a few weeks grin

ShowOfHands Thu 11-Sep-08 23:03:07

Fabulous. I love a chubby little bf baby.

DD very quickly leapt up to the 98th centile and then off the chart by 12 weeks. She has stayed there ever since but is tall now as opposed to ball-like.

Sounds like you're doing a marvellous job.

PussinJimmyChoos Thu 11-Sep-08 23:03:32

Just goes to show how good breast milk is! Great news smile

moondog Thu 11-Sep-08 23:20:13

Wonderful news.
Be proud. Be very proud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now