Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Any asthmatic breastfeeders?

(10 Posts)
Chequers Thu 11-Sep-08 19:58:55

Embarassed to be starting another thread on my attempts to establish breastfeeding, but anyway....

Are there any asthmatic breastfeeders who take the brown preventative inhaler - Beclometasone? Have rung NHS direct to see if I can take it while b/f but they say there has not been enough research to decide either way and I need to see the Dr. Can't get an appt til next week so just wondered if anyone had experience?

Thanks.

thisisyesterday Thu 11-Sep-08 20:01:35

have a look on the breastfeeding network page. they have pdf files listing lots of drugs, it might be on there

BoysAreLikeDogs Thu 11-Sep-08 20:05:36

I BF Ds2 whilst taking the blue inhaler - ventolin - and a brown one - Becotide.

( I also became pg whilst taking prednislone shock)

There was no real research back then (6 plus years ago) but Doc said a mum who could breathe was better than one who couldn't.

So I went ahead and BF.

HTH

islandofsodor Thu 11-Sep-08 20:11:54

NHS direct are so non commital on these things.

I took salbutamol and beclomethasone both whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. The Breastfeeding network drugs guide thingy says it is safe and my doctor told me it was perfectly safe to take whilst pregnant. They are topical treatments so don't get into the blood/milk/placenta

NotQuiteCockney Thu 11-Sep-08 20:11:59

The amount of steroids that end up in your system from the inhaler are pretty low, I would use it. This page says it should be ok.

Racers Thu 11-Sep-08 20:12:13

I've always used both during pregnancy and breastfeeding. It's a fairly low dose of steroid and I don't think it can pass through milk.?!

thegirlwiththecurl Thu 11-Sep-08 20:18:53

I used both whilst pregnant and during bf - after advice from gp who said it was fine as amount getting through to baby would be negligible.

kinki Thu 11-Sep-08 20:53:08

I take ventalin and preventer seretide. Have been on oral steroids too since 3mths pregnant, ds is now 12mths old and breastfed. Have been thoroughly reassured both are completely safe. hth

Mungarra Fri 12-Sep-08 14:25:14

I use the ventolin and the steroid inhalers. The steroid was prescribed to me while pregnant and also recently while breastfeeding.

I think it mostly goes to your lungs, doesn't it?

MerlinsBeard Fri 12-Sep-08 14:33:52

i have pformorotol(or somethin glike that-i am too lazy to go upstairs to check!) its a red and white one that i use twice a day and i have a blue one(salbutamol) that i use v occasionally. My asthma nurse was v honest and said that neither were particularly great in BF but they weren't dangerous that she knew of (her own disclaimer i think) and that it was far better to be a mum who could breathe than a mum STRUGGLING to breathe or not able to at all!

tbh i have found i hardly need any inhalors since bf-odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now