Talk

Advanced search

Ow! What's this red patch by my nipple?

(9 Posts)
missbumpy Thu 11-Sep-08 19:40:54

I just noticed it today. DD's 11mo and I've recently dropped 2 of her day feeds so she's now just on 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night.

Red patch is about size of 50p piece and right next to nipple. The whole breast is feeling a bit sore and was a bit engorged before the evening feed. What's going on? I've had mastitis before and it's not like that but I'm wondering if it could be the early stages of mastitis (last time I didn't realise I had it until it was full blown).

Help!

skirmish Thu 11-Sep-08 19:43:08

sounds like mastitis to me...i had fluey symptoms one night, by the time i got to the docs the next day, had a massive red patch on oneboob...i'd get it checked out

LadyOfWaffle Thu 11-Sep-08 19:46:03

sounds like mastitis - take some paracetamol and try and empty the boob - I was in hospital with an infection the other week that may have been mastitis (I certainly got it aswell anyway) and I have never felt as ill in my life!

missbumpy Thu 11-Sep-08 20:29:46

Oh no! That's the last thing I need right now I'm actually out of town staying at my dad's. Do you think I can go to any GP or should I cut my trip short and get back home to my GP tomorrow?

papaya Thu 11-Sep-08 20:33:48

I have phoned my gp before and they have faxed over a prescription of antibiotics to a pharmacy when i have been out of town, i would try ringing your doctor x

papaya Thu 11-Sep-08 20:34:01

I have phoned my gp before and they have faxed over a prescription of antibiotics to a pharmacy when i have been out of town, i would try ringing your doctor x

MissLiss Thu 11-Sep-08 20:37:29

It may just be a blocked milk duct. I went to GP last week with same thing. She told me to feed and feed on that boob until it cleared. But you should try to get it checked just in case it is mastitis - hope not though.

monthlymayhem Thu 11-Sep-08 21:54:56

I had exactly the same thing today. I also started to drop a daytime feed yesterday, and last night I was out so missed an evening feed too. Today I woke up with a red/pinky 'bruise' and could feel a lump.

I got LO to feed from the sore boob lots today in different positions, and during his bedtime feed I kept massaging it as he was feeding and then expressed a bit more afterwards and I actually felt it go 'pop'. The lump has now gone and it feels much better, just still a bit bruised feeling because I've been hand expressing the area so much!

So might be worth trying to massage/express tonight incase it is a blocked duct.

missbumpy Sat 13-Sep-08 14:30:56

Saw an out of town GP and she prescribed anti-bios. Seems to be working. She said a blocked milk duct is basically the early stages of mastitis. Thanks for the advice anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now