Talk

Advanced search

I want / need to express again after long time not... still br feeeding 19month DD.

(17 Posts)
susiecutiebananas Thu 11-Sep-08 13:07:50

DD is 19 months, feeds twice a day roughly, and often over night. She feeds first thing and before bed.

She has had a chest infection for nearly 3 weeks now, and is so mucousy. I'm sure more br milk will help (rather than cows milk on cereal etc) I want to express for her at the moment, to use in her breakfast, and the bottle she also has at bedtime- just se asks for it now as part of her routine before bed, as well as a long br feed.

Just tried to express again ( tried last night too same result ), got about 5 mls!!! I know its because I don't express any more, but was wondering if there is someway to boost the expressed amount again?

I'm guessing frequent pumping again, but, not sure if it really will work and don't want to, if it's not going to. due to time factor. Gladly will take the time if it will work.

susiecutiebananas Thu 11-Sep-08 21:50:55

right... erm, guess no one as any ideas??? wink

susiecutiebananas Fri 12-Sep-08 10:28:38

maybe my title is not clear?

I really could do with some advice on this.

So, i guess the title should say,

Not express for long time. Need to again. Br feeding 19 month 0ld.

Does that help?

babyinbelly Fri 12-Sep-08 10:34:12

Hi cant really help I'm afraid but wanted to let you know that you do have some support!!!

Do you express by hand or pump? I only did it by hand when bf and think would have been more successful if I used a pump. I am going to try this with new baby but until its here I cant help I'm afraid.

Would perserve tho! smile

chipmonkey Fri 12-Sep-08 10:46:17

susie, what I would do is, keep trying to express every 3 hours or so. You won't get much, but it will send a signal that milk is required. I would also try putting dd to the breast as well during the day as she will stimulate milk production far better than any pump. If you are expressing frequently, you don't have to keep washing and sterilising the pump, just put it back in the fridge between pumping sessions and re-use it.
I also find that "switch-pumping" is best. This is pumping for 5 minutes on the right, 5 on the left, then 4 on the right, 4 on the left until you are down to a minute on each side. Unless you have a double pump, of course!

susiecutiebananas Fri 12-Sep-08 11:14:26

Thanks both

babyinbelly - I used to hand express loads, and use a hand pump. Didn't have a problem before. I could get bottles at a time.

Chipmonkey- Isobel does go on at lunchtime sometimes before her nap. I was incredible successfull with the pumping originally, but then I guess, she was feeding every 2-3 hours for 5-6 months. ( when I look back, how on earth did I do it, I mean the feeding let alone pumping, I'll never forget those tired tired days! )

I thought about doing just as you say, pumping really regularly, but didn't want to put so much into it ( sounds mean! ) if it would be a fruitless exercise and would not be pysiologically possible to produce more these days. I realise its all about demand and supply so I suppose that would mean it could work, and should work.

Thanks for your help! its sometimes easier when you step away from it and think what you would do if someone else was asking you!

I was a NNU nurse, ( and also br feeding councilor!) and when Izzy was prem, and in (my old workplace) NNU, all my knowledge went out of the window. I was asking really daft questions, I thought they'd never employ me again. Then one day one of the other mums asked me something and I was able to give her nursing advice. My old matron reassured me it was becasue I was being a mummy with Izzy, & she'd be more concerned if I wasn't like that... Oddly, its continued, any time she is poorly, I can't remember anything! hmm

Anyway, I totally digress!

Thank you so much!

IgglepigglesBlanket Fri 12-Sep-08 11:52:16

You can get something called Nursing Tea which may help, I remember women in my old bf group saying that it helped, although I haven't tried it. Will go and find a link...

IgglepigglesBlanket Fri 12-Sep-08 11:58:28

nursing tea

savetheplanetdontiron Fri 12-Sep-08 12:05:23

A hospital grade double pump will get the milk out quickly and quietly. Have you thought about hiring a double pump for about a week? Cost would be about £1.20 per day plus the collection kits for £16 for two bottles. YOur local NCT branch shoudl have a volunteer pump agent. Good luck.

GreenMonkies Fri 12-Sep-08 12:17:14

Susie,

Try fennel tea, it helps with let down, and oatmeal (flapjacks or porrige) can help boost your milk supply, along with the other standard galactogogues like nettle, milk thistle, fenugreek and drugs like Metoclopramide and domperidone.

Keep expressing regularly, but don't over do it, offer her a boob as often as possible and good luck.

Hope she's better soon.

(roman chamomile and tea tree will help her chest, in a diffuser or in her bath)

ilovemydog Fri 12-Sep-08 12:18:34

Express in morning...

babyinbelly Fri 12-Sep-08 12:32:07

glad you got some help in the end susie wink

Good luck

chipmonkey Fri 12-Sep-08 14:25:13

Mmmmmm, flapjacks........nice to have an excuse to eat them!grin

susiecutiebananas Fri 12-Sep-08 19:25:14

wow, thank you, each of you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Iglepiggle- I do have some nursing tea, and some goats rue, which I got ages ago, and had forgotten about, so I will try that too thank you for reminding me

Greenmonkies - I have porridge for breaky every morning, but will gladly make some flap jacks too. Any excuse hey! grin Also, I had been thinkig about getting an electric pump, if it will do the job. I've a few friends who are pg at the mo, so I know it will get used, plus hopefully I will again. ot sure if the ones you can buy are as good as the NNU milking machines though! Any suggestions on a brand? I've not a clue, never have had, as I used the NNU machines in the early days.

Babyinbelly- Thanks for checking back

Wow, so kind of you all, thank you again. I will do all of what you've each suggested.

chipmonkey Fri 12-Sep-08 22:42:48

Susie, I have an Avent Isis IQ duo which I find fantastic, it has hospital grade suction but feels very gentle. But is is shockingly expensive, about 250 ( sorry can't do pound signs on my computer.
A lot of people on MN swear by the Ameda Lactaline which is much better priced and I know a lot of exclusive expressers have used it for a year or more. Double pumping is very good for supply, I have found.

CoolYourJets Fri 12-Sep-08 22:45:05

you could also try ditching dairy in your dds diet. Rice milk on cereal etc. Dairy can be mucous forming.

susiecutiebananas Mon 15-Sep-08 10:32:22

Thanks for brand recommendations. Can't stretc to tat much!!!

Have tried her before on ditching cows milk and had her on goat. She had loose stools pretty much immediatly we started her o cow on cereal etc. It helped. but then gradually re intoriduced the cow back agai and se was ok.

Maybe a good idea again to stop cow. I would prefer her to have br milk on cereal than rice milk or soya though. If I can!

THanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now