Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why does the kettle have to cool for 30 mins when making formula?

(8 Posts)
CiaraB Thu 11-Sep-08 12:51:30

I was wondering if anyone knows why the kettle has to cool for 30 mins after boiling when making up formula? Is it because of the BPA scare? Or is it to enable the formula to mix properly? Any ideas??

ajm200 Thu 11-Sep-08 12:53:38

I don't know but on the occasions that we didn't wait long enough (usually in the middle of the night) the formula would mix ok but we'd end up with sore hands and it would take ages to cool the bottle for LO

cmotdibbler Thu 11-Sep-08 12:53:41

It doesn't need to cool for 30 minutes - it must not have been left anymore than 30 minutes before using so that the water is at 70' or more. So you can use it straight after the kettle has boiled.

CiaraB Fri 12-Sep-08 12:12:39

Thanks for your responses. That is what I thought. I have been using glass bottles because of the BPA issue so thought it would be safe enough not to wait for 30 mins. There seems to be so many rules about making up formula that I don't know if I am doing it right or not.

Lukesmammy Fri 12-Sep-08 20:44:35

I was told by a HV that you shouldn't use just bolied water as it damages some of the nutrients in the milk. She likened it to using jut boiled water for making coffee and how it impairs the flavour? Not sure about it but have heard a few times that using freshly boiled is a no no and this was way before the bpa scare.

AnarchyAunt Fri 12-Sep-08 20:46:46

You don't. You have to wait no more than 30 minutes.

So anytime from just boiled to 30 minutes since boiled is fine smile

onepieceoflollipop Fri 12-Sep-08 20:46:58

I think that the temperature can vary a lot after 30 minutes depending on how full the kettle is. e.g. full kettle and after 30 minutes it is still really hot.

I used to wait a few minutes, then pour into bottle, then leave a few more minutes.

DabblesInGettingOld Fri 12-Sep-08 21:01:50

If u use too hot water the forumla SPRAYS everywhere when you shake the bottle!!!!

(probably not the real scientific explanation, but a FACT!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now