Talk

Advanced search

Help advice needed!

(7 Posts)
fifitot Wed 10-Sep-08 20:00:00

Just got a new job, a promotion. The job spec stated that I would need to do occasional overnights if needed to attend a conference. Wasn't 100% about this but thought would manage. However due to start Oct and one of the first things they want me to do is go on a conference which means 2 nights away from LO!

The problem is that LO and I have never spent a night apart. She is 2 and still has a bf before bed and in the morning. I know this can't last forever but it works for us at the moment. Don't know how she will cope if I am not there at bed time! I feel bad if have to pull out of conf and tbh they won't be best pleased! I guess they would understand if LO was a baby and still BFing but at 2????

Any advice???

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 10-Sep-08 20:04:21

I went back to work when DS was 6.5 months and when he was 9 months that had to include on-call which meant I wasn't guaranteed to finish by half 6. Therefore I started missing the odd bedtime from that age onwards. I know the first couple of times were hard going for DP (and I was heartbroken to be missing bedtimes) but now if I can't make it back in time he's gone to bed no problems for DP.

A sound routine at bedtime makes it clear that it's time to sleep. You can get away with skipping parts of this if you're in a rush for bedtime, so why not the BF?

She will probably surprise you

fifitot Wed 10-Sep-08 20:09:06

I hope so! She is such a mummy's girl and I know I need to get her to be less dependent upon me but it's so hard. Trouble is at 2 she is so much more aware of things than she would have been as a baby. That is maybe why your LO was OK as much younger.

IAteDavinaForDinner Wed 10-Sep-08 20:17:22

Possibly, but he definitely knew the difference between DP and I, and he made (and still does make) it very clear that if I am there he expects a feed.

I guess at her age you will be able to explain what's going to happen. I imagine there will be an opportunity for some sort of exciting incentive while you're away!

fifitot Wed 10-Sep-08 20:18:54

Thanks. Think I will have to have a few trial runs.

ninja Wed 10-Sep-08 20:25:18

I stopped feeding DD at 22 months - so not far off two and I was amazed how easy it was. The fact that you CAN explain it to her must make it easier.

I agree she may surprise you!

idontbelieveit Wed 10-Sep-08 20:38:39

I wouldn't worry about the trial runs. She might be a bit unsettled but she will eventually sleep even without the bf. My dd is 27 months and still fed at night until very recently.

I've been out a few times with work and missed bedtime and although she would always want a feed if I was there she accepted she couldn't have one if I wasn't. It may take your dp longer to settle her but she will survive and you'll probably miss her more than she'll miss you!

I was terrified about leaving dd for the first time when she was 13 months but it was my sister's hen do and I didn't have a choice, even then she coped and was fine the next day when I rushed back to her.

I reckon the trial runs will just stress you out, especially if you stay in the house and she knows you're there. If she knows you're away she'll accept it.
Hope this helps a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now