Talk

Advanced search

Can women breast feed a new born and a 3 year old together ??

(9 Posts)
mummyloveslucy Wed 10-Sep-08 17:54:45

Hi, I'm just curious really about breast feeding two children.
If a woman has been BF a child until she's 3.5 and then has another baby, can she feed them both together? I've heard that the milk for a new born is different to that for an older child, so what type of milk would be produced?
and also, if a woman had a baby and was BF it and the older sibling wanted to do it too, would you let him? if he hadn't been BF for 3 years or so.
After seeing a programe about BF recently, it's made me curious about all possibilities.
I gave up BF my daughter at 2 weeks as I got infected nipples and it was far too painfull. I wish I'd carried on now, after I see how passionate women are about BF and giving their babys an optimum start. They are prepared to go to such lengths, I feel as if I failed at the first hurdle.
If I have another baby, I'll be more determined. smile

beansprout Wed 10-Sep-08 17:59:09

Yes, it is possible and is known as "tandem feeding". AFAIA, the body prioritises the baby and produces infant milk.

BabiesEverywhere Wed 10-Sep-08 18:00:04

Yes, you can.
Milk produced would be newborn milk and the toddler can drink it no problem.

I am tandem nursing my 2 year old and my month old son.

I don't know how old your DD is but it might be possible to restart breastfeeding if you wanted to ? There is a great lady called Tiktok on the boards and if anyone could help you, she could.

fedupandisolated Wed 10-Sep-08 18:03:06

Hi - yes you can - as bs says it's called tandem feeding and works well. I've a couple of women on my books (am a HV) at the moment who are doing this and it's worked really well for them. Go for it.

mummyloveslucy Wed 10-Sep-08 18:08:02

That's good, it makes sence to prioritise the baby. The human body is amazing really!. My daughter is the sort of child to not want to miss out on anything, so if she did want to try it then I'd let her. I would never ask her though, it'd be her choice.

mummyloveslucy Wed 10-Sep-08 18:17:35

Oh and what's a breast feeding sling?

Is there any way to breast feed in public without exposing yourself or being obvious ?
This was another reason I gave up as I'm really bashful and when ever we were out and about, I'd have to go back to the car to feed her.

BabiesEverywhere Wed 10-Sep-08 18:41:18

I have heard people nursing in nearly every type of sling.

I have only managed it with my son in a pouch and my daughter in a mei tai.

This sling website will tell you the differences between the different types of slings.

This Meetup site is for mothers who talk about, buy, loan and use slings.

Re. Nursing in public IME it is one of those things which gets loads easier the more you do it. I was terrible nervous about NIPing and now two years later I'll feed anywhere.

mummyloveslucy Wed 10-Sep-08 18:53:23

Thanks.smile

They look really comfortable too.

Divvy Wed 10-Sep-08 19:40:39

I posted this on another thread today.....

...I thought I may have been alone in my thoughts...but sems I am not! smile

My 18 month old, calls my boobs bot-bot, since i have been bf new baby.

she has come to me and pulled my top down gone to my breast and made sucking noises...

I feel a bit sorry for her, as only bf her for 1 week....

She still enjoys cuddle time with bottles of milk....

I have thought about.....but I havent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now