Talk

Advanced search

Pain in left boob, ds needs feeding shortly, help!

(11 Posts)
helips Wed 10-Sep-08 09:54:26

Woke up this morning and fed ds no problem. After an hour or so I noticed that my nipple felt sore, red hot sort of pain. Didn't think much of it at first but the pain has got worse and now the whole boob feels sore. I've made an appointment for the doctors late this arvo but ds is due to wake from his morning nap soon and will want feeding. Should I feed him from that breast as normal? What do you think is wrong? I really hope its not the dreaded mastitis. Ds is 1 and I've got this far with no real problems and I don't know what to do. Thanks!

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 10:00:07

Poor you - it sounds like mastitis.

It may sound like the worst thing ever, but the best thing for it (apart from antibiotics and painkillers) is to feed from that breast. It's caused by blockages in the ducts which means old milk sits around and the breast tissue becomes inflamed.

So even though it's agony, I'm afraid you should feed DS as much as possible from that breast to get the milk flowing. The milk will not harm him at all, might be a bit hotter than usual though!

If you don't feel comfortable feeding him from that breast until you've had a diagnosis, then express on it to keep the milk flowing, otherwise it will get really sore and full.

Good luck - mine cleared up really quickly with antibiotics and painkillers. smile

helips Wed 10-Sep-08 10:06:01

I'm dreading feeding him but will do. Just can't understand how I got it though as he has fed as normal and I haven't felt engorged. Feel really crappy and a bit sorry for myself!

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 10:18:53

it does just come on out of the blue, sometimes. it's rubbish, but luckily easily fixed.

hope you feel much better soon.

smile

ajm200 Wed 10-Sep-08 10:24:39

Putting a warm flannel on the sore area then gently massaging it before feeding might help to clear the duct and reduce the pain.

If it gets worse, see your Dr

helips Wed 10-Sep-08 10:26:57

Going to see the doctor this afternoon. How long does it take to clear up?

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 10:32:25

once you start the antibiotics, not long at all. I had a really bad case of it in both boobs (can still remember the agony) and within a couple of days it was much better.

ajm200 Wed 10-Sep-08 10:32:48

Depending on how bad it is it might take a while I only got it once and it was mild and cleared in day or two.

Sorry, didn't read your post properly, blush DH and DS not giving me much peace this am

helips Wed 10-Sep-08 18:50:01

Thanks all, Ive been to see the doctor and she confirmed it is Mastitis and prescribed antibiotics. I can't believe how crappy I feel, luckily dh has come home from work early to look after ds. Feeding is so painful and I have been gritting my teeth, think ds knows something is wrong because he kept unlatching and looking at me!

I just can't believe I have been breastfeeding for over a year and have suddenly got it. It is horrible! Is it a one off or now that I've had it once am I suseptable (sp?) to getting it again?

ajm200 Thu 11-Sep-08 10:08:04

I only got it once so you might be lucky and never get it again. I was told that wearing underwired breastfeeding bras can make you more susceptable but that might just be the opinion of the MW I was talking to.

Make sure that it is completely clear though and don't be afraid to go back to the Dr if you finish the antibiotics and aren't certain that it is completely clear. Friends of mine had it, took the antibiotics and it flared up again quite quickly afterwards because the infection hadn't really gone away and they really needed a second course of pills.

Good luck and I hope it eases quickly.

helips Thu 11-Sep-08 13:07:54

Thanks ajm, I'm already feeling a little bit better today. Hopefully this is just a one off, I don't wear underwired bra's and the doctor I saw said I was just unlucky. You can say that again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now