Talk

Advanced search

We've been trying for weeks but DS will NOT take milk from a bottle or cup. HELP!

(11 Posts)
ConnorTraceptive Wed 10-Sep-08 09:19:37

Tried giving EBM in a bottle from 3 months, tried four different types of bottle without joy so decided to forget about it until 6 months when I wanted to introduce formula and tried different cups instead.

Now DS can take milk from a cup and has on occassion taken a couple of ounces of formula but never progressed from there and I just don't know what to do now. I've tried everything, different people feeding him, different times of day etc.

Have just introduced solids, but he's not interested in those either. <sigh>

What else can I try?????

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 09:24:53

We had a similar problem with DS and in the end what did it was appealing to his independent streak (which is about a mile wide grin)

We filled up an ordinary bottle with milk and put it on the coffee table. Not sure if your DS is cruising or pulling himself up yet, but if not then maybe just within reach of crawling or sitting? Then we left him to it.

Within minutes he'd crawled to the table, pulled himself up, got the milk, sat down and drank the lot! As a bf baby, he just hated the passive thing of being fed, as it were - but he was quite happy to feed himself.

We also found (and still do) that he will only drink a couple of ounces of milk from a cup, but he'll drink a whole 8oz bottle down in one if it's in a bottle. He still has one when he wakes up, and he's 2.4 now blush.

As for solids - he was a very slow started on them too, and completely refused purees - if your DS is shutting his mouth up tight when you try and feed him, you could try Baby Led Weaning? Apologies if you're already doing this!

DS much preferred the independence of BLW, and although he still took to solids very slowly, it was without any major traumas. He now eats like a horse, and there are very few things he won't eat.

No idea if this helps, but hope it does!

tiktok Wed 10-Sep-08 09:25:34

Connor - I don't understand your question. You say he won't take milk from a cup in the title, and then say he will take it....are you concerned he doesn't take enough or often enough? This is prob just a question of time and patience, maybe? Making a big thing of it is likely to work against this progress - hang on in there with no fuss and it will work itself out

ConnorTraceptive Wed 10-Sep-08 09:36:38

sorry for the confusion there tiktok! i'm very tired!

he can take formula from a cup but only ever a couple of ounces. He'll be fine on that for a bit but when gets hungry again he won't take anymore formula only a breastfeed.

I don't want to stop bf altogether but would like him to take formula enough so he can be left with others.

I guess i am concerned he's not taking enough for his age and height.

littlemydancing: that's a good idea about making a bottle and leaving it within reach i'll give it a try.

I know i need to relax but i feel like i'm getting it all wrong with ds2, he doesn't sleep well, he screams when left with others and now i can't get weaning right <sigh> have tried a mixture of puree and blw, he's just not interested.

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 09:39:49

how old is he - you mentioned six months, is that right?

babies need to start eating solids between 6 and 12 months - some are later starting than others, and I know DS was really slow. When we started BLW he really hardly ate anything at all. Some days he'd have a yogurt, some days nothing. Or maybe a carrot stick!

I used to be in despair, I even emailed Aitch begging for tips.

But you know, slowly and surely he started eating and by ten or eleven months or so he would eat three meals a day.

It is agonising and you feel sure that they're going to fade away - but don't let it become a big issue, just make out that it really doesn't matter if he eats or not. He will get there, just in his own time.

ConnorTraceptive Wed 10-Sep-08 09:50:21

Yes he's 6 1/2 months. I know I need to chill out. He's so very different to ds1 one. I think that's part of my anxiety though. DS2 takes up alot of my time and I feel I'm not giving ds1 (3 years) as much quality attention as he deserves.

anyhoo will repeat to myself "chill out" one hundred times!

LittleMyDancing Wed 10-Sep-08 09:55:33

Good Luck - it is really hard - we're having another baby in April and in my head I'm convinced it will all be exactly the same as the first time round.

But rationally I know this baby will drive me mad in a million completely different ways from DS... grin

madmouse Wed 10-Sep-08 09:58:51

solids take a while. Is he bright and healthy? Then don't worry. My ds did not take more than a few spoonfuls for weeks then suddenly took off and eats loads now (from teaspoon amounts to three meals a day in a month).

ConnorTraceptive Wed 10-Sep-08 10:01:31

OH he's very bright and quite a weighty fellow so he's not going to waste away!

debinaustria Wed 10-Sep-08 22:19:53

Sounds like my ds2, he was a very different baby to ds1, very colicky, and would never take a bottle, or dummy. I returned to work when he was 6 months old - thankfully only mornings as the CM had to give him milk on a spoon for him to lap up like a cat. Then I would rush there and bfeed him. Weaning was slow and once he was able to take a normal cup he was OK. However he is now 6 and has always had a few problems with eating and also speech problems, on going to the speech therapist here in austria she said that his problems were due to a speedy birth and a cranial osteopath would have helped , with digestion and also taking a bottle. I wish I had known that when he was a baby as it was so hard .

Don't know if this helps but I know how you're feeling.

ConnorTraceptive Thu 11-Sep-08 10:47:39

Thanks deb, I took ds to an osteopath when he was just a few weeks old to help with "wind" probs and it really helped.

Will just take it slow for a while and see how we get on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now