Talk

Advanced search

4 months - alternative to a bottle??

(22 Posts)
fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 15:02:12

my DD is now almost 4 months and for the last 3 weeks I have had to fight to get milk into her - it isnt that she doesnt want it as if i persist through the screaming she does drink it - if i stop after she pushes it out she is hungry again in an hour!

is there an alternative I can try? a cup or anything?

thanks so much

hazeyjane Tue 09-Sep-08 15:16:08

Have you tried feeding her sat in a seat facing you(bouncy chair, car seat?), this helped with our dd1, who after having colic for first 12 weeks, suddenly started doing this, fighting the bottle and screaming. We had to keep feeding little and often, like a newborn, but she did seem happier drinking milk in this way, rather than being held.

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 15:21:25

did try a few weeks ago with no improvement! will give it another go! thanks!

DartmoorMama Tue 09-Sep-08 15:21:54

You could use a beaker or a little sippy cup with a sift spout.

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 15:27:34

do u have a link to an example? or recommend any?

thanks!

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 15:32:16

was recommended the 1st stage of these - http://www.infantcaredirect.co.uk/acatalog/Spillproofcups.html

any opinions??

chipmonkey Tue 09-Sep-08 15:34:55

For a start, is she teething? Might she have thrush in her mouth?
You could try the Avent magic cup with the soft spout but you would have to take the valve out of the lid, otherwise it's much the same as a bottle!
here

ThisTooWillPass Tue 09-Sep-08 15:41:19

Message withdrawn

Sycamoretree Tue 09-Sep-08 15:43:14

you could try a Doidy Cup.

Or, I change the type of bottle - went from Avent to Dr Brown - not sure if it was my imagination or not, but it seemed to make a difference. If she's teething (my DD's first one came at exactly 4 months, and thick and fast after that ), the nipple of the bottle might be making her gums sore or painful - she was FF from a weeks old. So - what about trying some calpol, or rubbing dentinox on her gums, particularly the front as the top two and bottom two at the front tend to be the first through.

My DS was BF's until about 6 months, but boy was he a wriggler, and when he went onto the bottle, flipping heck I could not get him to sit still for it and he cried and fussed. I sat him in his bouncer and held the bottle and hey presto. From that point on, he also took his bedtime bottle lying flat in his got with me leaning over. Killed by poor back, but he would always drink a full bottle this way, vs 1/4 bottle if I tried to hold him.

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 15:44:41

thanks
don't think she is teething but have tried giving calpol an hour before feed incase something was hurting but didn't make any difference! no thrush! she is on SMA LF as lactose intolerant (like her dad, and all his family!) also on gaviscon for reflux!

does the valve on that advent one just mean they have to suck to get anything out?

Sycamoretree Tue 09-Sep-08 15:44:48

Type in haste, realise multitude of typos at leisure. blush

Sycamoretree Tue 09-Sep-08 15:48:15

Yes, the valve means you have to suck a bit harder, but it also makes it non-spill for older babies who hold it themselves and like to bash it around the place.

I'm not entirely convinced avent soft teet is the way to go - seems to me like the issue is with something in her mouth at the moment, so I'd try the Doidy cup first - or if you have the cash to buy both now, they won't be waste purchases down the line.

Doidy here: www.thatcuteage.com/2-Feeding/c49p1-Cups-Plates-Cutlery/p444-Doidy-Cup?src=gBase

First attempt at a link, so hopefully it worked.

Sycamoretree Tue 09-Sep-08 15:50:11

Sorry, just realised the Doidy had already been suggested and linked.

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 15:50:32

is the avent one similar to this - http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B0012MI4OE/sr=1-18/qid=1220971727/ref=sr118/203-2578753-97319 37?ie=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=42764041&mcb=core

just we have those bottles so could just swop tops when she decides she doesnt want the bottle?

hazeyjane Tue 09-Sep-08 15:52:37

I've got a spare soft Avent spout if you want it (dd didn't like it, it can be used in an Avent bottle as well as cup - which i have a spare of too). I could stick it in the post. Cat me if you would like it.

Sycamoretree Tue 09-Sep-08 15:58:49

Fairibell - can't make the link you sent work, but yes, the spouts work on the bottles too.

I bet you any money by the time you have gathered all these new bits and pieces together she'll decide she's back into the bottle! They do these things to test us you know....wink

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 16:06:39

I expect she will by the time i have go it!!

Hazeyjane - I don't think I can CAT but would love to take you up on your offer - could you email me at fairihell@hotmail.com - I am happy to send you some money!
thanks so much
Sarah

Sycamoretree Tue 09-Sep-08 16:10:37

is your email fairihell, or fairibell - I'm not emailing you, but could just envisage this all falling apart because of a rouge H grin

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 16:22:28

with the h! long story!!

hazeyjane Tue 09-Sep-08 17:33:09

Have just e-mailed you in fairi hell!

fairibell Tue 09-Sep-08 17:59:16

hmmm
not arrived yet
fairihell@hotmail.com

hazeyjane Tue 09-Sep-08 20:33:39

ok, i'll try you from another e-nail address, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now