Talk

Advanced search

IS HINDMILK MORE DIFFI CULT TO EXPRESS?

(5 Posts)
twoboots Tue 09-Sep-08 08:03:22

I express around once a fortnight for dd (13 weeks) using a hand pump. I

have noticed that initially the milk comes quite rapidly. I'm assuming its all foremilk as its quite thin and slightly grey. Then after 2 oz it tends to slow down significanlty- around the same time that it changes colour and consistency to a thicker creamier milk

So the first 2 oz comes out in around 5 minutes and then the next 2-3 oz takes 15-20 minutes.

Is this normal, is there a better technique/method to get as much expressed milk as possible? I only express in the mornings and I have a warm shower and massage prior to pumping.

I want to start giving DD expressed milk more frequently as I go back to work in January. I would like DD to get expressed milk for a few months when I'm at work. I would consider hiring an electic pump if its going to cut down on time and yield more milk.

bluebell82 Tue 09-Sep-08 08:29:36

Hi- I struggled at first with expressing, I found that it came out like Niagra at first then slowed and i'd be there pumping away, I found that positionisg helped, if I leant forward while doing it and pushed down on the pump it helped- also having my dd in the room with me helped too. Good Luck

Bumperlicious Tue 09-Sep-08 08:45:41

Try not to think of hind milk and foremilk differently, it's all the same just that it separates out when longer between feeds. Just express as much as you can get out and it will all even out.

As for expressing tips, have you tried expressing while feeding? I always found that much easy, when I eventually got the hang of how to do it.

Try Kellymom for more pumping tips and please don't don't worry about the foremilk/hindmilk, it's all there.

foxytocin Tue 09-Sep-08 09:37:36

1. don't hire a double electric, buy one. it will work out cheaper in the long run.

2. as bumper says, it is all just one milk which separates the longer you go between feeds.

3. establish a pump routine nearer the time you return to work. expressing is a skill.

One technique is to 'build' in a feed. That is, to pump at the same time for 30 mins for a few days, even if you just get drops. At around the 4th day, you should start to get appreciable amounts. By day 7, you get as much as you will get at one session. The second technique is to continue pumping for an extra 10 mins (or wait 10 mins and pump again) after the letdown. You can then stimulate your body into having 2 letdowns in quick succession. the second one will be smaller but of quite high fat milk.

I used a lactaline for over a year and it never let me down.

ruty Tue 09-Sep-08 09:40:31

I can't praise Ameda Lactaline pump enough. a hand pump must be exhausting. [note to self buy shares in Ameda]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now