Talk

Advanced search

OK who the hell gave skin to skin bonding the foul name of babymooning?

(12 Posts)
Twiglett Mon 08-Sep-08 22:57:18

some prattish 'child guru' no doubt?

who was it?

against whom may I direct my ire please?

cadelaide Mon 08-Sep-08 22:57:58

may I join in?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 08-Sep-08 23:08:41

Skin to skin isn't the same as babymooning. Babymooning AFAIK is spending time exclusively in the company of your baby to the exclusion of others people and things (ie shutting yourself away from the MiL and having time to get to know your infant).

Skin to skin (kangaroo care) is exposing your baby to your skin to encourage bonding through the release of oxytocin which is created by increased nursing frequency and also as a reaction to the warmth of skin to skin contact.

It's all bollocks though, it used to be called 'motherly love' but I guess that didn't sound pompous enough for some hmm grin

whomovedmychocolate Mon 08-Sep-08 23:09:17

Oh and prior to finding mumsnet, I thought babymooning was the practice of showing your baby's arse to the world when changing his nappy hmm grin

Wisknit Tue 09-Sep-08 08:56:14

I don't think a baby moon is that awful a term. I think it is probably the honeymoon term it is derived from. New husband/wife and you spend some time away from others with just them. New Baby and you spend some time away from interfering family well meaning folk with just your baby.

cmotdibbler Tue 09-Sep-08 09:26:37

Not my most favoured word, but it does describe the concept of retreating to your bed with the baby, and not thinking about housework/cooking/entertaining/going out at all for a couple of days and just giving them the chance to feed and feed. Different to skin to skin bonding.

TsarChasm Tue 09-Sep-08 09:30:11

Doesn't it all boil down to have a good old fashioned cuddle then?

lulumama Tue 09-Sep-08 09:32:09

it has become short hand and a convenient way to describe something.. if you are finding it prattish and pompous then you need to take a deep breath and stop sweating the small stuff IMO

it is quite a sweet term i think

pudding25 Tue 09-Sep-08 09:36:03

*whomoved my chocolate* me too! grin

whomovedmychocolate Tue 09-Sep-08 13:52:04

lulu shock definitely not sweating anything over here

Do think it's weird the way we need a term for what would have been not even commented on in the past. Are we becoming so aloof as parents that we need to label normal care and attention with special terms?

belgo Tue 09-Sep-08 13:53:21

'It's all bollocks though, it used to be called 'motherly love' but I guess that didn't sound pompous enough for some'

grin at WMMC

whomovedmychocolate Tue 09-Sep-08 15:57:36

I grin at myself on a regular basis Belgo wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now