Talk

Advanced search

2wk old screaming and fussing through feeds - too soon for colic?

(13 Posts)
bohemianbint Mon 08-Sep-08 21:17:15

Am breastfeeding my new DS2 and after 2 weeks of him being blissfully contended he's suddenly started coming off during feeds, whilst still seeming to want to be latched on IYSWIM, screaming as though he's really in pain and arching his back. This goes on for a while and is really frustrating as I just don't know what to do; trying to put him back on seems to make him worse, although he seems desperate to feed? He ends up almost head banging my boob and wrestling me with his hands - I vaguely remember his big brother doing something similar. Am having trouble getting his wind up and wondering if it's colic, but doesn't that start later on? Am worried in case it's something more serious, but not sure about taking him to the GP in case they say it's just wind/colic.

Anyone had this and have any idea what it is and what I can do?

yelnats Mon 08-Sep-08 21:21:45

Have you tried offering him the other side? Usually worked when my dd2 did this.

RUMPEL Mon 08-Sep-08 21:22:43

Hmm not sure - someone more experienced will come along soon but if it is colic you can get homeoptahic granules form the pharmacist, or try infacol ( it has an accumalitive effect though so keep using it) when he is older you can give him gripewater.

bohemianbint Mon 08-Sep-08 21:25:01

I've tried offering both sides, taking him off to wind him, putting him over my knee and rubbing his back (have soem short-lived success with this) but it generally takes a good while to calm him down. He was really sick one night as well which scared the crap out of me (thought he was choking and struggling to breathe) although thankfully that was a one off.

RUMPEL Mon 08-Sep-08 21:28:52

Is it possible he could be getting frustrated as he is getting too much foremilk and not enough hind?

Pannacotta Mon 08-Sep-08 21:29:19

Are you holding him high up enough?
Sounds silly but I had a similar problem with with DS2 when he was only a week old.
I was so used to feeding DS1 (age 2) who gave up just before DS2 was born that I started to adopt the same hold with DS2 and of course he was too small and couldn't latch on properly.
Luckily the MW came just as a feed was ending and she could advise me how to hold him closer in and higher up, if that makes sense?
Soon as I changed the position he fed fine.

Pannacotta Mon 08-Sep-08 21:30:28

Or it could be fast let down, newborn babies struggle to cope with milk coming fast. Some info on kellymom, will have a look.

Pannacotta Mon 08-Sep-08 21:32:05

www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html

yelnats Mon 08-Sep-08 21:37:40

dd2 was like you describe - she was frequently really sick - projectile vomit! And really really sick after every feed, infact not even just for a while after a feed for the entire time between feeds usually too. In the end we got junior gaviscon sachets from the doctor though to be honest they weren't a great help - she did grow out of the sickness once she went onto solids.

She fussed sometimes during feeds as you said but changing sides worked for us thankfully - though she did get a favourite side which has left me slightly lopsided. Though I only stopped feeding about 7months ago when she was just over a year.

bohemianbint Tue 09-Sep-08 16:41:32

Thank you for the advice. smile Will try changing position slightly to see if that helps. (I have been feeding him at night with us both lying down sometimes - I wonder if that could have affected it?) I probably do have quite a fast let down as well.

Looking at that kellymom page, it could be a growth spurt. Health visitor also said it might be oral thrush. Either way, am taking him to the docs tomorrow to get him checked out.

deedee3 Wed 10-Sep-08 14:25:39

I had the same problem - and still have it - with my DS2 who is now 2 months old. He started around 2/3 weeks to fuss just as you describe. I know part of it is a fast let down, it does help to feed more frequently. He chokes and coughes and also seems to gag sometimes. Tried holding him upright after feeds which helps too. Wierdly, feeding lying down also helps. Took him to dr who said that it's common in all babies and due to lack of strength in stomach muscle. That wasn't particularly helpful... Kellymom has good advice about reflux.

Also used saline nose drops as he was really snuffly, lots of mucus that hadn't cleared from when he was born.

moominsmummy Wed 10-Sep-08 19:46:42

agree with deedee - for my DS it was the stuffy nose (and huge suffocating nork in his face) which was the problem - once he stopped panicking about breathing whilst feeding he was fine

bohemianbint Thu 11-Sep-08 10:57:38

Thanks everyone - turns out it was thrush!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now