Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

new mum in need of advice

(6 Posts)
Tipex Tue 22-Feb-05 11:25:26

Hi all, my DS is now 1 week old, first baby and we're doing ok with the breastfeeding I think/hope but I wondered if you wise ladies could offer some advice.
Initially I was giving him both boobs when my milk first came in to try and ease the engorgement a bit and it settled after 24 hrs to the point that they seemed empty and he was feeding for up to an hour each time (40mins 1 boob 20mins the other). I have tried to re offer him the same boob now on the advice of MW and milk supply seems to have caught up as my right boob has gone very full and lumpy/sore again altho much better after a feed. However the left seems a bit behind and is still soft and he appears to get less decent swallows when hes on this side. Question is (eventually!), should I offer the right more often in order to relieve it or do I need to stick to alternate boobs in order to encourage the left one to fill?? I'm desperate to avoid mastitis or anything on the right but dont want to knacker my supply before we even get going.
Thanks in advance
xx

pixiefish Tue 22-Feb-05 11:41:44

demand will sort your supply out (eventually).

When I started bfing I used to get terribly full and hard and it was a real relief when dd used to feed. I used to offer one breast only per feed though, and alternate breasts. it settles down after a few days. The more you feed off both sides though the more your supply will increase.

My dd is 1 now and still only feeds off one side at a feed.

Perhaps you should try to get in touch with a breastfeeding counsellor who'll be able to talk you through things easier. Tiktok is a bfing counsellor and will give loads of good advice- I don't really want to offer advice incase I'm wrong- I can only offer my experience.

On previous bfing threads you'll find loads of links to people like La Leche league and the association of breastfeeding mothers.

Also try to find a bfing support group in your area

Flossam Tue 22-Feb-05 11:46:39

I would keep offering each side alternately, one per feed. The sucking should stimulate the milk supply reasonably quickly. Then hopefully soon you'll be all balanced out again!

Beansmum Tue 22-Feb-05 11:54:50

I had the same problem, I fed ds too much on the right side and ended up all lopsided. After I started feeding on one side only each feed and alternating sides it seemed to sort itself out. but even now, after 9 months, the right side seems to produce more milk, I really notice it when I express, I hardly get anything from the LHS and tons from the RHS.

Tipex Tue 22-Feb-05 14:54:27

Thanks guys, I will contact the NCT counsellor later but its great to hear from some experienced Mums. I think the left side is fuller already today but the right is fit to burst! Good to know this will settle down as the Pam Anderson look is all very well but my clothes dont fit!

pixiefish Tue 22-Feb-05 18:26:10

my dh compared me to Jordan when my milk came in

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now