Talk

Advanced search

Can you please recommend the best electric breast pump currently in the market?

(10 Posts)
SunshineSmith Sun 07-Sep-08 21:11:44

Struggled first time round and would like to be prepared from day 1 .

Thanks!

RoRoMommy Sun 07-Sep-08 21:17:43

Playtex Embrace, norks hands down. I got mine in the States, though, so not sure if they are sold here. If not, perhaps check into international shipping? You can get a power converter easily.

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Sep-08 21:20:09

the absolute best one is something like the ameda lactaline or similar.
do you mean you str4uggled with expressing or struggled with breastfeeding?

Gonkster Sun 07-Sep-08 21:24:03

MEDELA SWING! MEDELA SWING! I bought it just before DD was born, my midwife recommended it but I assumed I wouldn't need it. Thank the Lord I bought it as it was invaluable after a challenging birth which hindered the establishment of breastfeeding, and then thrush meant that for 2 weeks I expressed non- stop. Then used it again when DD was 4 months old and was brilliant. Never stopped working, made relatively little noise, and if at home on own, could strap it over my shoulder and walk about if I needed to. It's not cheap but well well worth it. All the private midwives that I have spoken to recommend it.

cmotdibbler Sun 07-Sep-08 21:25:13

Me and my Lactaline were bosum buddies for well over a year, so it gets my vote.

But if you have problems breastfeeding, expressing is probably not the answer - expert help is. And by that I mean from NCT, LLL, or ABM breastfeeding counsellors who are specifically trained, prob not midwives or health visitors. So get all the helpline numbers now, find your nearest baby cafe, breastfeeding support group and bumps and babes group, and read this board lots to see the common problems and how to deal with them

ThisTooWillPass Sun 07-Sep-08 21:27:17

Message withdrawn

SunshineSmith Sun 07-Sep-08 21:37:20

Thanks ever so much for your responses.

Cmotdibbler, I think you are right that i should also check out thoe breasfeeding support groups! I didn't do first time round and I think I will benefit from it.

x

Chequers Sun 07-Sep-08 21:38:26

I've got the medela swing too and think it's great.

thisisyesterday Sun 07-Sep-08 21:41:32

bear in mind that breastfeeding may not be a problem this time round.
i definitely found it easier second time.

a really decent breastpump will set you back a fair bit, but the NCT hire them out as do other places (i think expressyourselfmums might) so I would definitely think about leaving it until after the birth and then hiring one if you need to with a view to buying your own if you need to do it long term.

chipmonkey Sun 07-Sep-08 22:10:11

Avent Isis IQ duo OR the Uno version. Very quiet and efficient. RoRoMummy, I really liked the look of the Embrace and use the Playtex bottles but it is hard to find someone in the States who deliver to the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now