Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can you please recommend the best electric breast pump currently in the market?

(21 Posts)
SunshineSmith Sun 07-Sep-08 21:11:36

Struggled first time round and would like to be prepared from day 1 .

Thanks!

wendiwoo Sun 07-Sep-08 22:55:07

I actually won an avent duo mind breastpump... it is fantastic but expensive! You can pump both breasts at one time... feel abit like daisy the cow but cuts down on time! It also comes in a lovely briefcase type bag which keeps all stuff together. Big investment but I think it great. Could probably get one cheap on ebay... afterall you have to stop some day!grin

SazzlesA Sun 07-Sep-08 22:57:19

Message withdrawn

bluebump Mon 08-Sep-08 12:00:57

I have the Medela mini one and it is good but very noisy!

wontbepreggersagain Mon 08-Sep-08 13:36:29

medela swing

jemmalou Mon 08-Sep-08 13:38:21

also medela swing. tried a manual one first and nearly threw it across the room many a time in frustration.

nigeltuffnell Mon 08-Sep-08 13:42:48

medela, electric, swing-thequieter one- It's great, I also tried avent isis but prefer the medela as it's quicker. SIL says avent is better for her as she's got quite small boobs and it has cushioned suction thingy...

Liz79 Mon 08-Sep-08 22:03:16

medela swing. have also tried medela mini electric and avent isis but swing is the best

chipmonkey Mon 08-Sep-08 23:01:39

Wendienvy I entered that competition but didn't win. I had to buy mine!

AlexanderPandasmum Mon 08-Sep-08 23:06:21

The Ameda Lactaline is one that is used by a lot of people who are heavy users of the pump (i.e. exclusively expressing). I personally used it several times a day for 7 months and it still lasted. It is a double pump (can be used as a single though).

It cost me about £75 but it might have gone up a bit in the last 15 months.

Sycamoretree Mon 08-Sep-08 23:12:15

For what it's worth, I failed BF'ing with first LO, but was successful with my second LO - and the best pump for me was the avent manual. I felt less like a cow being milk, and could go to my own pace - i got very good - 8 oz in 10 mins before my supply settled down. Compare that to precisely two nat sized thimble fulls from the medula electric with first LO.

That said, my sister, who just had her first LO, bought some fuck off 89 quid thing and said it was fab - she intends to have another babe so was worth it to her to shell out.

lilysmummy2007 Tue 09-Sep-08 07:54:06

definitely medela swing, makes for even production as well, very comfy even with massive boobs

Nonicknamesleft Tue 09-Sep-08 19:12:28

Does anyone have any thoughts about switching brands, before I waste money? I have had zero success with Medela Pump in Style and little with mini-elec; tried Swing with baby no. 2 and similar dismal results. I can get more milk out by hand....

Have plenty of milk so that doesn't seem like the problem. Would I be flogging a dead horse to start trying an Avent or something?

lilysmummy2007 Tue 09-Sep-08 20:13:46

i did use a tommee tippee closer to nature manual pump before i got the swing and this was great, quite cheap and you are in controll, maybe the electric ones dont agree with you NNNL, try a manual one, might just do the trick

bluebump Tue 09-Sep-08 20:18:09

I have the Tommee Tippee manual one too and I prefer this to the electric Medela one - it's always reduced in places too which is useful as I keep breaking mine hence I bought the electric one in the first place!

Sycamoretree Wed 10-Sep-08 14:54:05

Yeah, I rate the manual ones, though I used Avent one as I had those bottles from first time round. I can't explain the difference - it just worked - like BRILLIANTLY compared to medula elec. You can control the rhythm to mimic your baby and pause if you are sore or go slow or fast and listen to your body sort of thing.

SunshineSmith Wed 10-Sep-08 14:56:19

I tried manual ones but it was a struggle. Gosh, some women express themselves with their hands? Is that true?

bluebump Wed 10-Sep-08 16:50:33

I'd never manage with my hands! I do seem to get more out of my manual one somehow - I just wish i'd not spent all that money on the electric one now!

Sycamoretree Wed 10-Sep-08 17:18:07

I did manage with my hands - but only over the sink one night in the middle of the night, in the bathroom, in agony and too tired to get the pump from downstairs. I was surprised - but not sure how easy it would be to collect it that way - near broke my back hanging over it!

SazzlesA Wed 10-Sep-08 20:48:46

Message withdrawn

chipmonkey Thu 11-Sep-08 01:44:47

mears hand-expressed for a baby in SCBU once upon a time. Could never get the hang of it myself but it would be so much more economical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now