Talk

Advanced search

how much should i feed 4 month old?

(3 Posts)
jemmalou Sun 07-Sep-08 20:00:03

i have been switching from breastfeeding my 18 wk old daughter to bottle feeding over the last few weeks.

she's 13lb. the side of the aptamil box suggests 6oz/feed. she is feeding 5x /day and i am giving her 7oz each feed and even then she starts screaming as soon as the bottle is removed from her mouth!

i have been told that babies stop feeding when they've had enough but i'm not sure if this applies in her case! when i was breastfeeding she would just keep going until she fell asleep or i pulled her off.

does anyone else have any experience of a baby that just keeps going?! is it acceptable to feed her more than 7oz/feed? she is gaining weight but has dropped from above 50th centile at birth and is now between 9th & 25th centile. she also has reflux so some of what goes down does come back up although this is getting better.

any thoughts/advice appreciated. seem to get differing advice depending on which hv you speak to ...

Seona1973 Sun 07-Sep-08 20:03:55

if your lo finishes the bottle then I would add an extra ounce to each one. Maybe she just likes sucking - have you tried a dummy?

jemmalou Mon 08-Sep-08 08:05:00

thanks seona. will try adding an extra oz to each feed today & will see how she goes. she woke up at 5.30 this morning when usually she sleeps until 7am so maybe is getting hungry.

she used to have a dummy when she was tiny but hasn't really been able to keep it in her mouth the last month or so - doesn't seem interested. she does suck on her thumbs/fingers most of the day though so i guess she does like sucking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now