Talk

Advanced search

BF and antibiotics

(3 Posts)
oopsacoconut Sun 07-Sep-08 19:55:35

Hi

Am currently BF my 8 day old dd and have been prescribed antibiotics for a womb infection. I am worried about her and me getting thrush from the antibiotics. Would giving her probiotics help prevent this? I am taking some for me and wondered if she needs the baby ones or will she get it from me? If baby ones are worth getting - any suggestions on which ones?

Thanks

RedHead81 Mon 08-Sep-08 10:51:34

She should be fine without it - only a tiny amount of antibiotics pass to the baby through your milk and should have no effect on her whatsoever. You could have a chat with your midwife about this - she will be able to tell you about baby prebiotics (I don't know about these so can't advise - though i do know that the best thing to give your baby is what you are already doing - breastmilk) Keep a lookout for thrush, but in all honesty, I don't think your antibiotics could cause it in your baby.

Congratulations though and well done for BFing!

ajm200 Mon 08-Sep-08 10:53:44

Give one of the BF helplines a call. They'll soon tell you if there are any risks with the antibiotic that you are on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now