Talk

Advanced search

Problems with spit-up after breastfeeding

(5 Posts)
CT123 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:06:23

I have a two week old baby and I'm breastfeeding him. I have a problem with feeding from the left breast. On the right, he feeds for anything from 25-50 mins but on the left, he often only feeds for 10 mins and then, afterwards, spits-up large amounts of the milk. A friend suggested that this might be because the latch isn't right and he's taking in a lot of air. However, both my Midwife and Health Visitor have checked the latch and declared it fine. It also feels perfectly comfortable for me. It doesn't always happen, but is very frequent. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Can anyone suggest a solution?

charchargabor Sun 07-Sep-08 18:14:10

It's very encouraging that you have no pain latching on. Do you have any symptoms of oversupply, such as him coughing or gagging at letdown and having to gulp milk really fast? Do you leak a lot on that breast? I had an oversupply on one side, and these were my symptoms, as well as DD spitting up more on that side (my left as well!) It evened out about 12 weeks, but there are things you can do to help if this is the problem. Is he happy even though being sick, or does he show any symptoms of pain. Sorry for all the questions! smile

CT123 Sun 07-Sep-08 18:38:44

It could be oversupply. He does gulp a lot and that breast also leaks a lot more than the other. He doesn't mind spitting-up but, apart from having to change his bedding and clothes, I worry that he's not getting enough milk because so much comes out! If it is over-supply, what I can I do?

charchargabor Sun 07-Sep-08 18:41:52

Here is a link with tactics to help oversupply. Is he gaining well and having plenty of dirty nappies? That's your best indicator of whether he's getting enough.

CT123 Sun 07-Sep-08 20:05:54

That's really helpful - thank you so much! He is gaining weight OK. He was 1oz below his birth weight at 14 days. He only averages one dirty nappy a day but LOTS of wet ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now